• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn Air JES9860CAS01 Electric Oven Too Slow to Heat

TheGoldenRobin

Premium Member
Model Number
JES9860CAS01
Brand
Jenn-Air
The oven is taking 1 degree/minute to heat.
I changed the temperature sensor because the oven would reach the desired temperature then just stop climbing. (When the temperature sensor was tested the sensor didn’t register the correct amount of ohms.)
Now the oven is taking too long to heat up.
1) It will heat with rapid heat but doesn't maintain the temperature.
2) The broiler works - the element gets red hot and seems to maintain the temperature. Tested the high and low settings for 15 minutes each.
3) There are no error codes.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Start a bake cycle at 350° If the bake element doesn't turn red hold your hand just above it and see if it's giving off any heat. If it is you'll need to measure the voltage at the element. If it's cold check the element for continuity. If the sensor was bad and replaced check your installation for loose wire connections. It's very rare to have more than one part fail at a time.

TheGoldenRobin

Premium Member
Now I have the part and when I gently attempted to pull out the unit with wire intact - it was much more difficult than the heat sensor probe - with a little wiggling, I got the right side out but not to far and the left side lost the wire.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm guessing you checked the element first and it was bad. I usually lift the element and pull it out far enough to get to the two wires then I wrap a piece of black tape around the wire end and tape it to the oven wall. That way I don't lose the wire. I've lost a wire like that before. You may need to pull the range out and take the back off to get the wire back

TheGoldenRobin

Premium Member
Thanks Rick,
As soon as I get the element out of the oven I plan on testing for continuity. I practiced on the new one so I could make sure I was doing it correctly.
In my case I have a clip that can hold the wire that won’t fit thru the hole.
Possibly the wire came off because the wire got caught on the side and there was no wiggle room, as I never even saw a part of the wire!
My biggest issue now is I can’t figure out how to remove the wire from the original bake element.
I found a video on your site but the wire came unclipped with the gentleman pulling gently. I’ve pulled gently and not so gently, to no avail!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
TheGoldenRobin said:
I’ve pulled gently and not so gently, to no avail!
You got to pull like you mean it! It'll come off. A pair of needle nose pliers and wiggle it back and forth while you're pulling. If it breaks no problem, just replace the wire end. If your meter has a diode check function makes an audible beep when you touch the meter leads together, use that and touch the meter leads to the element ends. If it beeps it's good.