• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn-Air JS42PPDUDB01 Freezer Too Cold, Please Help

minp22

Premium Member
Model Number
JS42PPDUDB01
Brand
Jenn-Air
Hi everyone. I have a JS42PPDUDB01 built in side by side refrigerator/freezer. I have the following problems:

• Freezer cools to below setpoint, compressor does not turn off (setpoint is 5, freezer will cool as low as -8 independently measured). Compressor does turn off during defrost cycle.
  • Compressor occasionally runs with a lot of noise and vibration, will resolve after a brief time or a power cycle.
  • User display does not always display actual temperatures, only sometimes when far above/below the setpoints. Usually it just displays the setpoints. Is that normal? When they are displayed, they are accurate to within a few degrees of my measurements. I have seen the display read -10 for the freezer but the compressor is still running.
I have done the built in self tests, checked the thermistor, checked the defrost thermostat, and replaced the main circuit board with a refurbished one. The problem persists. When I unplug the low voltage signal to the compressor inverter, it does shut down.

Does someone know what the problem may be?

Thank you.

minp22

Premium Member
There is no logic in the user display and control board with the temperature displays and buttons is there? All the logic is in the main board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, all logic is in the main control board.

This will be a very difficult problem to solve because you've already replaced the parts involved to this problem.

So its best to contact Jenn-Air at 1-800-536-6247 to come out and see what's going on.

Jake

minp22

Premium Member
Thanks for your response. I suspect they will just end up throwing (retail priced) parts at it as well. I am being sent another refurbished board just to rule it out. After that we will see...

The part I don't get is why the freezer temperature is not displayed properly and not showing an error if the user control and display board is working as it should.

minp22

Premium Member
Well the new board did not fix anything either. One thing I did notice was the setpoints are retained when swapping boards so there is at least some nonvolatile memory in the display board. I am tempted to change it but it is expensive.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member