• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Jenn-Air JSC23C9EEM00 Side-by-side Refrigerator - ice maker not doing anything

BigTB

Premium Member
Model Number
JSC23C9EEM00
Brand
Jenn-Air
Have tried a different fill valve, ice maker tray and repaired broken wires at the door hinge. It appears that it should be getting 14v DC at the connector and it isn't. I'm guessing that it's probably a down control board. Can anyone point me to the right replacement part and change out procedure? Thanks for any help

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
P6-1 to P6-2 on the board should be a constant 14 VDC. Did you try checking the ice maker in service mode?

BigTB

Premium Member
No, I just checked for the voltage of the red and black wires at the inbound connector junction into the icemaker. I'm having trouble getting a service manual for this unit so I don't have the procedures to do any diagnostics.

BigTB

Premium Member
Since I had two broken wires at the door hinge and there doesn't appear to be any inbound voltages I was guessing that the Control Board (which I think is part num WPW10226427) had maybe been damaged. Does that sound like a possibility?

rickgburton

Staff member
two broken wires at the door hinge
Check for other pinched or almost broken wires at the hinge. That's very common. More common than a bad board. There won't be any voltage at the ice maker unless it's moving. It operates on 14V and 5V. IM timing and logic is controlled by the UI Core Control Board. To check whether the ice bin is full, 14VDC is applied to the IM motor, driving it clockwise (CW). The motor begins twisting the tray and lowers the bail arm. In the first 7 seconds, if the bail arm contacts ice the internal feedback switch will close indicating the bucket is full. The DC motor will reverse direction, driving the ice tray counter-clockwise (CCW) back to the home position.
To turn the IM on, remove the ice storage bin, flip the switch to the “ON” position, and replace the ice storage bin. When inserted, the ice storage bin closes a bucket switch wired in series with the ON/OFF switch.

Use the switch across the bottom of the display:
R-displayswitch numbers (2).jpg

To enter diagnostics mode, press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

The display will show “01” to indicate the control is in step one of the diagnostics routine.

Each step must be manually advanced.

Use SW5 to advance to the next step or SW4 to go back to the previous test.

Advance to test #44 - Sankyo Ice Maker Harvest Test.

Before running test #44 make sure the ice bucket is empty. (I always bypass the power switch with a jumper wire but that's up to you.)

Press SW3 to start the test. The system should not come out of this test unless the harvest cycle is complete

Digit one:
1= harvest cycle is on
2=harvest cycle is off

Digit two:
1= Ice bucket full
2= Ice bucket not full
3= Switch or motor faulty

BigTB

Premium Member
I checked pretty closely and can't seem to find any more broken wires. I did get it into diag mode and it appeared to run test #44. After it went through #1 & #2 on the first digit it started to flash #23 with replace down in the lower right hand corner. Pic is attached. Know what this means?
Thanks a lot for the guidance.

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_200900712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211017_200900712_HDR.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 13

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, since yours is a side by side: Lots of members have found frayed and broken wires causing the ice maker/and or auger motor to be dead. You may have another broken wire under the BLACK WIRE HARNESS LOOM.

Did you find the broken wires before it goes into the BLACK WIRE HARNESS LOOM?

Remove your bottom kickplate grille AGAIN, This time Remove the black wire harness loom too, broken wires can be underneath it.
cut wires.jpg

Another member was also getting 23 on TEST #44:
And it was more wires broken. His KitchenAid model uses the exact same ice maker your Jenn-Air model does.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you find no more broken wires, Here is the troubleshooting guide for your ice maker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MsX6lS6vM7MwRkKl7yvr_BT7YabzQOuo

Pages 8 and 9 do exactly what it says to do under Sankyo Icemaker Harvesting Test

You can see where it says to make a jumper wire, like Rick Mentioned.:)

Let us know what you find.

Jake

BigTB

Premium Member
Great info Jake. I still have the kick panel off so we'll be looking it over again really closely after work today. I haven't checked under the wiring loom so a problem could still be there. I will keep you posted.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

BigTB

Premium Member
Jake, any possibility that the wires are broken in an area I can't get to? (like in the door)
Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
It's mostly from the twisting back and forth under the hinge. I haven't seen a broken wire in the door but I have seen a few break right where they go into the door.

BigTB

Premium Member
After much digging I did seem to find a broken wire. I'm hoping the digging didn't break it. It's patched and we'll see by tomorrow if the ice maker is back online. I can't believe how poorly designed this wiring is.

BigTB

Premium Member
I had to add some with soldering at both ends. Didn't have enough length at any of the breaks to get them together.

Now the good news - We got a 22 on the diags last night and we have ice this morning! Heard it fill again right before I came to work. Now all I have to do is try to dress the wiring down there so that it doesn't happen again. I think that the very hard outer jacket that comes around the wiring bundle (most of which I have had to remove) probably creased the wires at points and caused some to eventually break. I'm thinking that a more flexible outer covering built of quality electrical tape is going to work better.

Your advice on this has been awesome and much appreciated. Many inexperienced techs would have had no clue on what was going on.

Are you out of Wichita?

BigTB

Premium Member
Greetings from Oklahoma City. I've "liked" your Facebook page and am going to leave a well deserved positive review.
Thanks again
Terry