• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Jenn-Air Microwave: Accidentally ran it empty

jeffmcpherson

Premium Member
imported post

I meant to use the "timer feature" but I ran our Jenn-Air Microwave for 20 minutes without anything in it. It doesn't work any more. Is there an internal breaker/relay? or did I likely fry the magnatron . . . or whatever it's called

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

jeffmcpherson wrote:
I ran our Jenn-Air Microwave for 20 minutes without anything in it. It doesn't work any more.
Doesn't work at all or just doesn't heat?

Is there an internal breaker/relay? or did I likely fry the magnatron...
If it doesn't work at all (no lights, nothing), there is a fuse inside which could have blown. If it just isn't heating, the magnetron tube or some other part of the heating circuit could have been damaged.

It would have to be checked out to determine the exact cause of failure in such a case.

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

jeffmcpherson

Premium Member
imported post

It runs but it doesn't heat. Sounds like the heating circuit needs to be checked out. Thanks.