• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED Jenn Air Microwave Turns on when shutting door

mainiac1

Premium Member
Model Number
JMV8208BAS
Brand
Jenn-Air
Last night, microwave would start (light stays on and turn table moves, and fan runs) as soon as you close the door. It doesn't start the cook process, as won't heat water unless you enter a cook time and press start, then you can hear the sound change and the magnetron kick in. This was a $400 microwave 5 or 6 years ago, so hate to trash it if I can fix it. I appreciate any help to troubleshoot and repair this beast. Thanks.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you get a chance, let us know what you find/see.

jeff.

mainiac1

Premium Member
Jeff, finally got around to pulling microwave off the wall...what a pia just to get it down...after removing a million cover screws, got cover off and eventually access to door latching mechanism and the 3 micro switches. All 3 switches are working properly, checked them with an ohm meter, then verified door prongs are engaging each one. Any other ideas to check to try to fix this beast w/o throwing a lot of parts at it troubleshooting? I had a microwave in my RV that I let a coworker borrow, he plugged the rv into 220 instead of 115 and that microwave acted similar...whenever it was powered, it would turn on and run. That was a cheaper microwave that I ended up just buying a new one at Walmart.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
98 times out of 100 is has something to do with the door switches...odd/rare time the smart board...odd/rare time a burnt wire somewhere ( cavity thermostat, base thermostat ).

jeff.

mainiac1

Premium Member
Ended up being the door switch bracket was not latched in properly and caused the primary switch to not latch 100%. Reengaged latch switch bracket and replaced primary microswitch as it was a real PIA to remove the microwave to start with. Knock on wood, after a week, still working ok.