• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Jenn-Air Range JDR8895AAS not been able to get the lower bake element to heat

tanstaafl72555

Premium Member
Model Number
JDR8895AAS
Brand
Jenn-Air
I have a very nice Jenn Aire JDR8895AAS, dual fuel range/oven, with an upper and lower oven. We love the unit, but have not been able to get the lower bake element to heat.

Here is what I have done:

1) replaced the heat element itself (now new)
2) replaced the lower temp probe (now new)
3) Tested for continuity in both the wires to the element (good)
4) Replaced BOTH fuses on the back of the unit (good)
5) Replaced the card (twice).

I am totally flummoxed at what the issue might be.

I have zero power from the card to the unit, and have had zero power from the old card (which I had rebuilt from an outfit in TX that does PCB fixes) and now a new card. I plugged the new card in tonight and was very frustrated to find it still does not work. The upper (broil) element in the lower oven works, but the lower element gets no power at all. I am clueless as to what might be going on.

Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Unplug the range for a minimum 180 seconds. Restore power to the machine and enter test mode. This mode must be activated within the first 5 minutes of power up.

Press BROIL and CANCEL pad for approximately 3 seconds.

Display will have dashes in all segments to indicate the mode is active.

Press and hold the Lower Bake pad for 4 seconds to activate.

This will energize the lower bake element.

If the lower bake element doesn't turn on and the element and wires are good, the ERC is bad.

tanstaafl72555

Premium Member
WOW! Thank you for your rapid response. I am a noobie at this. Will take this procedure at end of work today. Thank you again!
tans

tanstaafl72555

Premium Member
OK. went into test mode, held down lower bake button for 4 secs or so. Heard a "beep" and then waited to go out of test mode. When that happened, I did not unplug the unit again but simply waited and then tried to turn the lower bake on.
The unit showed "on" but the only source of heat was the convection coil in the back. I thought the lower bake unit should have heated up. Am I incorrect here? Multimeter shows 224 or so going to the two prongs associated with the convection coil (in the back of the lower oven), nothing to the loop heating element in the bottom of the oven
I guess my questions are:
1) is the lower element supposed to be coming on?
2) if so, is there a possibility that the power block is somehow bad, and we are not getting power to the module on the card itself?

It is hard for me to believe this is the card, as this is card #3, and brand new. I am assuming this is what you meant by "ERC"

Am I just being neurotic and assuming that normal lower bake always makes that lower bake element in the bottom heat up, and this is incorrect?

I am hoping my questions make sense.

Thank you for your patience.

Tans

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I don't think you did that right so try this. Measure the voltage going to the bake element at the Electronic Range Control. Set the oven to bake and check for 220 VAC across P2-pin 3 and P4-pin 1.

tanstaafl72555

Premium Member
OK. I did check pin 3 on P2 and pin 1 on P4....., the voltage was 238.... However, these two brown wires from those pins do not go to the lower bake element...., at least the wire loop heating element that sits in the bottom of the lower oven. Rather, those two BROWN wires are presently hooked to the convection coil at the back of the oven, in the center. The baking element is at the lower left, and is two PINK wires (they may be orange... my wife says I am color blind), They are pin 4 on P2 and Pin 2 on P5.

Your instructions got me thinking.... we bought this stove with the house. The lower oven has never worked properly, and I am wondering if perhaps someone did not reverse the wiring on the convection coil and the bake element? I was actually thinking of swapping those wires just to see if he element heated, but was afraid of mucking something up. I don't have a wiring diagram for this unit. Is it a possibility that we simply have wires running from the wrong pins to the wrong elements because some jackleg in the past was screwing around with it?

(I know what you are thinking :) no, it wasn't me!).

Is that a possibility of the problem? Again, the pins you referenced go now to the convection coil, which does heat when you set the oven on bake.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
only source of heat was the convection coil
perhaps someone did not reverse the wiring on the convection coil and the bake element?
That's what I figured when I read that pressing the lower bake pad in test mode turned on the convection element. Hence the voltage test.
perhaps someone did not reverse the wiring on the convection coil and the bake element?
You mean perhaps someone did switch the wires.
(I know what you are thinking :) no, it wasn't me!) ........... as this is card #3, and brand new.
OK Mr. It wasn't me, I believe you. LOL Switch the wires back.

tanstaafl72555

Premium Member
Alrightey. Sure as shooting, the bake element now heats. (THANK YOU!!!!) ... and now I have problems with the convection coil/fan. Of course, maybe I dont' know how a convection element works. I am going to google it to learn what is supposed to be happening there. I hit convection bake, set to 220 and have no power at the leads to the coil. I would say it is the card itself, but it is inconceivable to me that I would have a pcb card repaired AND get a new card and both of them fail on that circuit. If anything comes to mind pleas feel free to suggest. In the mean time, I am going to see what a convection unit is actually supposed to DO, although when the wrong leads were hooked up it simply heated and the fan would spin.

rickgburton

Staff member
The convection element and fan make up the convection assembly and runs on 120 VAC. When using the convection setting the bake element and broil element cycle on and off.

tanstaafl72555

Premium Member
So, Rick, I wanted to thank you so very very much. Possibly this forum is not the appropriate place for this, but I thought you might be encouraged by me telling you. You have relieved a great deal of stress in our lives.... which are spinning wildly out of control right now. You see, I have been diagnosed with cancer, and do not know how long I have left in this world. I am running around like a madman, attempting to take care of a LONG list of things so that my wife is not left with all the things that "I will get to when I have time."

God has blessed me with a knowledge of Himself in Jesus Christ, so that I am not sweating the death stuff (rather, in a weird way, a bit looking forward to it... you either get that or you don't), but this stove has been a hair pulling, extremely frustrating never ending saga. You have helped "put it to bed," and in doing so, helped to alleviate the ONE thing I don't need right now, which is stress.

Just saying that to emphasize you never know who you are helping, nor the full orbs of their lives. I am very grateful to master craftsmen who know and take delight in their trades. I say this because probably you don't get a lot of that (I don't in my work, anyway). It matters, and I am very grateful.

Thank you

Tans.