• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn-Air Range JDS9860ACP oven not reaching full temperature - sometimes

pjstock

Premium Member
Model Number
JDS9860ACP
Brand
Jenn-Air
My oven sometimes - only sometimes - dose not get to the set temperature.
when I bake pizzas or bread I want the hightest possible temperature. 550 for pizzas, 475 for bread.
However, last night (Pizza night) for instance though set at 550 Convection Bake, it only hit 475 and that after a very long preheat time.
this morning however, just before writing the post, I tested it again and it raced to a full 550 very quickly.
similarly, in the past, I have set it at 475 for baking bread and it struggled to get to even 350 or 375.
the next day then too, I remember testing it and it hit full target temperature easily.

I would say that 95% of the time it prehats correctly. of course it is only when it doesn't that I notice and freak out.

what could be causing this intermitent failure to hit target temperature?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Peter, possibly the oven sensor, you can ohm test it to make sure. Disconnector power to your range first.

It should read about 1050 to 1100 ohms at room temperature. You will need to pull the range out from the wall then UNPLUG IT, then remove the back access panel then you will see the connector that goes to it, it just unsnaps and pulls off.

Sometimes you can get lucky, and by taking the screws out from inside the oven where the oven sensor mounts, you may be able to pull the oven sensor wire through the hole and test it without pulling the range out from the wall.

Here's the oven sensor for your model:
Oven Sensor 12001656

Jake

pjstock

Premium Member
I'll test that. Thank you.
but should this sensor not be binary? WOrks / Doesn't WORK?
I cannot understand why the next morning the oven would zoom to top temperature.
but you all do not work in the world of hypotheticals or speculation. You are data driven.
so, I will test it and come back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
but should this sensor not be binary? WOrks / Doesn't WORK?
No, you have to ohm test it to make sure its within range.:)

Jake

pjstock

Premium Member
I get 1.08ohms (on the 20k scale)
what does that tell you?
and bizarrely, last night was Bread Baking Night and again, though set to 475 it didn't rise above 405. and that was at 1030 pm.
this morning at 8am when I tested it again, it fired right up to 475.
it always seems to fail in the evening and it always seems to work again the next morning.
Maybe our electric supply company is throttling back our power at nights. (and the weather is cool here so it's not like there is a heavy A/C demand on the system.)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
1.08 or 1080 ohms?

Maybe our electric supply company is throttling back our power at nights. (and the weather is cool here so it's not like there is a heavy A/C demand on the system.)
That's very odd they would do that.

@jeff1 or @Dan O. might know, they live in Canada too.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Maybe our electric supply company is throttling back our power at nights

I've never heard of such a thing and it wouldn't affect the temperature regardless. It would still heat to the set temperature, just take a bit longer to get there.

I have no idea what could cause intermittent temperature besides maybe the control malfunctioning.

Dan O.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.