• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JENN-AIR RANGE JDS9865BDP NOT HEATING PROPERLY

TBANAK

Premium Member
Model Number
JDS9865BDP
Brand
Jenn-Air
My jenn-air range JDS9865BDP not heating properly.
Electric from 2007
oven will heat up to temp, turns off but will not usually go back on when temp drops.
Replaced temp sensor in oven but did not help.
Could the high limit thermostat cause this?
Otherwise, I'm guessing its the whole control panel.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
TBANAK said:
oven will heat up to temp, turns off but will not usually go back on when temp drops.

Are both bake and broil elements glowing red when the oven is turned on?

Testing the functioning of the oven elements should likely be one of the first things done to narrow possible causes.

This link is pertinent to your message. It is supplied by this message author. Please visit it.

LINK > Applaince411: FAQ : How do I test an electric stove element?

Dan O.

ApplianceBCS

Premium Member
I have seen oven that do this where the temperature starts up okay and then falls off in temperature and eventually gets cold if you leave it long enough. Sounds like the control board is your issue. High Limit will stop it heating all together and will not return if it is defective. If it still gets hot for the first time you turn it on and gets to temp and eventually gets cold if you leave it on I believe with my own experience we have a bad electronic controller.
WP8507P232-60 and my vendor says it is no longer available but they do offer board rebuild services through either the repair shack or fixmyboard.com. You would have to pull the board and send it off to them. Hope this helps!

TBANAK

Premium Member
I replaced the control panel but still have the same issue. Could it be the heating element? It does heat up and glows red but then once it reaches temp, it deoesn't re heat.
???
Thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
TBANAK said:
Could it be the heating element? It does heat up and glows red but then once it reaches temp, it deoesn't

Which element?? There are 2.

As I asked previously:
Are both bake and broil elements glowing red when the oven is turned on?

but never received an answer.

Dan O.

TBANAK

Premium Member
Hi
On regular heat up the bottom coil heats and is red. The top (broiler element) does not heat or glow.

If I do Rapid preheat, The top (broiler element) does heat quickly but doesn't glow. The bottom element does NOT heat in this cycle. Really weird....

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Ok, it took some digging but this is what is supposed to occur.

On Preheat and Rapid Preheat the Bake is ON, the Broil OFF. (I don't know the difference between the broils. Also, on most ranges the broil is also used on preheat to help get the oven to temp. quickly. I don't know why it isn't on yours.)

On Bake the bake element cycles on and off. (It has to to control the temp.) NO broil.

JDS9865BDP element functioning.jpg

If the bake element ever comes on,
1. The element must be good.
2. The wiring to it must be good.
3. The control relay for that element in the electronic control must be working (at least at that time).

I don't see any safeties in the circuit to the bake element that would prevent it from coming on so I can only assume the control is responsible. If you replaced the control with a brand new part and it is doing the exact same thing as with the original, I really doubt the control is the problem.

Maybe there's a loose wiring connection to the bake element that is opening up the connection once it gets hot?

I did find a service manual for your model online. I don't know if it will help you to trace the problem.

And this is its 'tech sheet'

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't see any safeties in the circuit to the bake element that would prevent it from coming on

I did see there is a safety in the power circuit before the control that if cutting out could prevent all oven elements from functioning.

Try the bake again. When it stops and won't com on again, try using the broil right away. If it is that safety that tripped, the broil should not work anymore either.

You can see that part at the following link. The parts diagram doesn't show where it is, only it 'floating in space'. It might be on the back or top but would usually be attached to the oven cavity to read its temperature. It is # 6 in the diagram at the following link:

This link is pertinent to your message. It is supplied by this message author.

LINK > JDS9865BDP: Body Parts (see # 6)

If the oven is actually overheating, that thermostat may be operating normally. If it trips at too low of temperature, it may be out of calibration with age and need to be replaced.

JMO

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.