• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn-Air range not holding temperature

Nancy Reynolds

Premium Member
I think I previously posted this in the wrong place. Sorry.

I have a brand new Jenn-Air downdraft range model JES9860AAB. I purchased the range in October after my 21 year old Jenn-Air finally bit the dust! This new oven just does not heat properly. My baked goods take at least 25% longer to cook, (not shorter). Nothing browns properly. The temperature seems to be erratic. I set the oven for 350. The oven preheats to 350 and then drops to 285 or so before beginning to climb again. The repair technician told me that Maytag says it is normal for a Jenn-Air oven to drop 60 degrees or so. My old oven didn't do this. As a seasoned baker, I can tell you that no one who cooks seriously wants an oven that behaves like this. Sometimes the oven temperature is perfect. Sometimes, it spikes to 500 degrees or so; mostly it is runs on the cool side. The only way to keep constant heat in the oven is to put ceramic tiles in my oven and preheat for about 90 minutes.

My service technician has a new circuit board on order. If that doesn't fix it, what are my options?

Help!!
<!-- / message -->

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, I know for a fact its NOT normal for the temp. to drop 60 degrees or so.

That control board should fix it, but if it doesn't you will need a new sensor as well.

Jake

Nancy Reynolds

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks for the reply. I have printed this out and will give it to my service technician when he installs my new circuit board.

Simple question. How much should an oven vary in temperature from the target temperature when the oven is fully preheated? What would you consider acceptable?

Nancy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It varies to some extent but it shouldn't more than 20 degrees off either way, high or low from the set temperature.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake