• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn-Air Refrigerator JFI2089AEB2 - Ice Cream keeps melting then refreezing.

jmucciol

Premium Member
Model Number
JFI2089AEB2
Brand
Jenn-Air
Recently I noticed that the ice cream in my Jenn-Air French Door fridge is completely melting and then re-freezing. I'm sure other items are thawing and refreezing but the ice cream is the most noticeable. Any suggestions what's causing the issue is very much appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Make sure the condensor coils under the machine are clean and not blocked with dust/dirt/pet hair. Check the condensor fan (by the compressor) is working. Thawing and refreezing is usually caused by a control board failure.
whirlpool-board-hv-control-wpw10310240-ap6019229_01_l.jpg

jmucciol

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply. I cleaned the condensor coils and checked the fan but still the same issue. I also noticed that the ice in the bin is melting and causing a puddle in the drawer below. Before I replace the part you recommended, would that failing part also cause the ice in the bin to melt? TYA

rickgburton

Staff member
So once a day the machine stops cooling. How long does it last, one hour, several hours, half a day? When it stops cooling, is the compressor running? Do the display temps change?

jmucciol

Premium Member
Im not sire how long it stops cooling. Just now, my wife noticed her yogurt wasn't very cold. My freezer temp hit 48 degrees and Fridge his 58. I didn't have the temp alarm on. We moved the contents to the 2nd fridge. Some observations: I hear a clicking sound that I don't recall hearing in the past. The only fan I see is the one near the condensation pan which is spinning. Depending on your recommendation I may call for a repair man's visit. Thank again for all your advice.

rickgburton

Staff member
I hear a clicking sound that I don't recall hearing in the past.
Ahh... I think the problem is going to be the start device or a bad compressor. The clicking noise you hear is probably the overload opening. The thawing and freezing makes sense now. The compressor shuts off and can't turn back on until it cools down. Pull the machine away from the wall and access the compressor. Make sure the condensor fan motor is running. Listen for the clicking and see if it's coming from the compressor. Take the start device off the compressor and measure the resistance with a meter:
R-Start Device-new.jpg

If the start device checks good, measure the compressor windings:
R -Compressor Windings.jpg

whirlpool-tsd2-115v-electrical-wpw10197428-ap6016830_01_l.jpg

jmucciol

Premium Member
Hi Rick, The clicking is definitely coming from the compressor area. I removed the start device. My multimeter's lowest resistance setting is 200. For the resistance measurement from the front to rear I'm getting a reading of 1.1/1.2 which seems to in the right range. On the connections were I should be getting 3-23, I'm not getting any reading. Thanks again for any further advice, John