• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn-Air SVD48600B downdraft fan turning on and off sporadically

CGRob

Premium Member
Model Number
SVD48600B
Brand
Jenn-Air
Hello!

I have a Jenn-Air SVD48600B gas range/electric oven, and the downdraft fan has been turning on and off by itself lately. I have also noticed that the downdraft fan does not respond to the keypad inputs either. It will however come on when the gas burners are lit.

I accessed the diagnostic mode and there no stored trouble codes. I also tested each keyboard function in the diagnostic mode, and everything checked out except for the downdraft fan- absolutely no response to key inputs there.

I replaced the main PRB about a year ago due to an intermittent F5 code that was popping up. This solved that problem and the range had been functioning perfectly until now.

I’m thinking the downdraft fan control board or the keyboard membrane may be bad. Is there a way to test these items to confirm my suspicions?

Thank you for your assistance!

Rob

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rob,

Yes, when the control panel buttons are not working or not working well, its the control panel you need to replace. I've replaced many for this issue.

Here's the control panel for your model you can order here:
WP71002310 Switch, Membrane (blk)

Now for the fan coming on by-itself did you do the downdraft fan troubleshooting, per the service manual?

Here's the repair manual for your model, Read pages 1-3 & 1-12 to do the downdraft fan troubleshooting, you can print those 2 pages also: www.applianceblog.com/manuals/16010191.pdf

Its possibly your downdraft relay board that's bad too, once you do the troubleshooting tests then you will know for sure.

Here's the downdraft relay board for your model you can order if needed, its located in the very back of your range:
12001694 Relay Brd/sheild

Jake

CGRob

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you for your response! I have placed my order for parts with you guys, so I should have the range running properly some time next week. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Rob sounds good.

Yes, let us know how it goes.

Jake

CGRob

Premium Member
Hi! Back at it again almost 2 years later with this range. I replaced the downdraft control board which solved the problem for a while, however now I have no downdraft fan function at all. Ran the diagnostic function test and everything checks out BUT the downdraft fan button. It beeps in diagnostic mode, but no clicking relay sounds.

Is there a way to test the two relay boards to see which one is the culprit? I pulled the power plug to the motor and tested for voltage. Nothing when I push the button. Not sure if the main board is not relaying to the downdraft board, or if the downdraft board is bad again. I also tested continuity on each wire of the J4 harness and all was well.

I would really like to diagnose which board is the issue instead of throwing parts and $ at it. Thank you very much for your assistance!

-Rob

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rob,

Look on page 1-12, it has the terminals N and L1 on the downdraft relay board, just use a multimeter on AC volts between those 2 terminals and see you get 120 volts when you activate the downdraft fan, if so and the fan is not running, then its the downdraft relay board that's bad.

Jake

CGRob

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thank you for the detailed response. I will test the downdraft board one evening this week. If it is the downdraft board, it appears that I may have an issue finding a replacement as the part has been discontinued. Unfortunately, it may be time for a new range. 🙁

Thanks again for your help Jake!

-Rob

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, it may be time for a new range.
Yes Rob, that's what I was thinking too.

This range you have has been very reliable and has lasted you a long time, but just like everything else, all good things must come to a end, especially when they stop making parts for it.

Jake