• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jenn-Air W27100B oven taking long time to preheat

Tlanglois42

Premium Member
Model Number
W27100B
Brand
Jenn-Air
My wall mounted Jenn-Air W27100B is taking a long time to preheat. Took 35 minutes this morning to get to 400. Its took about 20-25 minutes to get over 100 then got up to temp pretty good. I replaced the baking element about a year ago. Any ideas what my issue could be?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
During preheat usually both bake and broil elements come on to get the oven up to temp quickly. Is the broil element working?

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I'm sure the bottom bake element should come on during the preheat too. After the bake element starts to heat, does the broil element ever come on again or does only the bake element heat from that point on?

Dan O.

Tlanglois42

Premium Member
I'm sure the bottom element is supposed to come on right away during preheating, but I'm not sure since I never paid attention to it before. The broil element comes on during preheat, but not super hot. Could it be that the broil element does the preheating before the bake element comes on? If the broil element is the problem that would explain why it takes so long to get to 100-150 then it seems to do ok, probably when bake element kicks on.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I've never heard of a preheat cycle using only the broil element. It's usually both bake and broil element until the set temperature (or close) is reached. Then the broil drops out and temperature is maintained by the cycling of the bake element only.

Tlanglois42 said:
If the broil element is the problem that would explain why it takes so long to get to 100-150 then it seems to do ok,
Either bake or broil element when fully powered should raise the oven temperature a lot quicker than that. If the bake element wasn't working (or only getting 1/2 power) and the broil element only getting 1/2 power, that might account for the slow rise but not the normal operation you claim after that.

The elements should glow red hot when they come on. Do either/both oven elements ever glow red?

Dan O.

Tlanglois42

Premium Member
Bake element is glowing, but the broil is not. I am going to replace it and see if that fixes the issue. Thank you for your help with this. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tlanglois42

Premium Member
No, its not. The bake element is coming on, but not until later in the process. The broil is coming on also, but not hot enough to glow. When I said it was working, it was getting hot, so I assumed it was working. But it appears it is not working as well as it should be.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't know what would cause a delay in the bake coming on besides a malfunction of the control system.

The only way the broil would only get warm but not glow red, is because of a problem with power getting to it. A defective element would not cause it so replacing that element is unlikely to correct that problem. It might be a burnt wire in the broil element circuit or maybe a slim chance of also a malfunctioning control.

Someone should inspect the wiring going to the broil element circuit. That may involve removing the oven from its enclosure.

Dan O.