• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Jennair microwave keeps blowing fuses

zwasdl

Premium Member
Hi friends,

I have an over-the-range JennAir microwave, model # JMV8196AAS. The internal fuse blown last week, when I was cooking pumpkin for 15 mins. I replaced with a microwave ceremic fuse (250V 20A), and the range hood and lights worked, but the fuse blown again immediately when I tried to use microwave. Replaced with a different brand fuse, blown again in 1 second.

Thank you so much for any help and suggestion!

Wei

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

TechnicianBrian

Appliance Tech
Hello Wei,

The fuse is blowing because one of your door interlock switches is no closing properly. The way to check is to disconnect the unit from the outlet, remove the grill and control panel, then do a resistance check of each switch. Two of the switches should read infinity until actuated while the third is normally closed and should read continuity until actuated. All three switches must be working and close in sequence or the fuse blows. There is a switch pack
containing two universal switches to replace the failed switch. Just make sure the wires are reattached to the appropriate terminals from the ones you take off.