• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JES9800BAB Jenn-Air slide-in range digital panel partially failed

smithglobe

Premium Member
Model Number
JES9800BAB
Brand
Jenn-Air
Greetings Rick and Jake: My 12-year-old Jenn-Air 30" slide-in range JES9800BAB is failing. The buttons on the touchpad to the right don't work. The buttons on the left -- to pick the function, bake. convect etc, do work. We can get the oven to go to either 325 or 375 (presets) but can't set oven or anything else that needs the touchpad. Is there anything short of buying the $275 replacement control panel, that might work? It seems to be part # wpw10206085, that might work? Would the pencil eraser trick perhaps work for this model? If nothing else, can an amateur install that panel? The model seems to have a long history of failure. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_162551.jpg
    IMG_20200413_162551.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 41

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

smithglobe

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply, Rick. Pardon my novice question, but is this separate from the overall control panel? That is, this is a part within the control panel?

Curious why it costs more than the entire control panel as sold in this part: WPW10206085.

Does this mean that the control panel does not include the electronic control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick, I think you may have misunderstood him, he's saying the touchpad buttons are not responding properly on his control panel. It is seperate from the control board on this model.:)

Here's the control panel touchpad assembly:
WPW10206085 Panl-Cntrl

Would the pencil eraser trick perhaps work for this model
Yes, you can try that first. Unplug or turn the breaker OFF to your range, then Unplug the ribbon cable that attaches to the control board, Then use a pencil eraser and only rubbing in the direction of the traces, use the eraser as you would erase, to clean the traces.

If after doing that it still does not work, then the control panel touchpad assembly is the culprit.

Control Panel Assembly Removal
1. Remove power from unit.
2. Remove burner switch control knobs.
3. Remove front screws securing control panel to chassis.
4. Remove screws located on the left and right sides of the control panel.
5. Grasp control panel on the far left and right sides and gently pull the control panel out and down.
NOTE: The electronic control located in the control panel is a sensitive item, handle gently.
6. Label and disconnect wire terminals.
7. Remove infinite switch control knobs, infinite switches, indicator lights, rocker switches, and electronic control/clock (as necessary) and transfer to the new control panel.
8. Reverse procedure to reinstall control panel.

Jake

smithglobe

Premium Member
Thanks to you both. It seems worth trying the pencil trick first. Another novice question: I need to slide the range out a couple of inches to be able to get at the screws on the side (I need to move it out beyond the granite countertop). Do I need to disconnect the downdraft blower or anything else underneath the unit before trying to slide it forward? Thanks!
Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's a good question Jim, it's been way too many years since I had to pull one of these exact same models out and I can't remember if you need to disconnect the downdraft blower or anything else underneath the unit before trying to slide it forward.

Get a flashlight or droplight to shine underneath and see how much you can pull it out without needing to disconnect the downdraft blower or anything else.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jim, sounds good. Keep us posted.

Jake

smithglobe

Premium Member
Ta daaa!! I got a new touchpad control panel for $242 and replaced it with relative ease myself in about half an hour, with your smart diagnosis and guidance (and the help of a youtube video). (It was the control panel itself, not the electronic board so extra credit to Jake). Everything now works great. Apparently Whirlpool/Maytag/Jennair use this control panel on a number of models so it was still available.
I'm hoping we now get a few more years out of this 13-year-old Jenn-Air slide-in range downdraft because to replace it would have been at least $3,200. It's an unusual configuration and apparently these downdrafts have gone out of fashion.
Again, thanks guys.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent smithglobe, glad to hear the new control panel fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake