• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JFC2089HEP Jenn Air - help need direction for 2 issues - compressor and display not working

sarajaye

Premium Member
Model Number
JFC2089HEP
Brand
Jenn-Air
Hey guys :)
I'm hitting a wall and really need some guidance. I'm finally just getting back into my house after the flood (Harvey), my fridge has been working fine on the front porch.
Moved it into the house, and now it is not working. Here are the issues I'm having and what I've already done.

Problem 1:
Display is not working - completely black
I have no idea where to go with that one. Tried service mode, programming - and I can hear a click but no lights on at all on the display.

Problem 2:
Started smelling burning plastic. Opened fridge, seemed ok (although not cold). Opened freezer - smoke and major burning smell. Unplugged. Touched the metal panel in the back of the freezer and it is blazing hot. It was pushing hot air into the fridge vent, and started to melt the plastic. Hence the burning plastic smell.
What I've done:
Checked the capacitor (by the condenser) and it checked good. Replaced the relay (I believe that is what it is called), the part the capacitor plugs into. - Still same issue, did not fix it.
So, normally that would tell me that the compressor is bad....

So... I'm stumped on where to go from here. :wall:
Any help or ideas are MUCH appreciated!

sarajaye

Premium Member
And if it is the compressor (which I’m curious to know if the control panel/display has anything to do with the compressor), I’ve heard it can be pricy, basically buy a new fridge, but I have an a/c guy friend that could change it out for me. But don’t want to go through that trouble, and it not fix anything with the display being out...
I know it seems crazy to try and fix, but I really don’t like waste, and if I can fix it for $600 VS buying another refrigerator for a $1,000 plus (I wouldn’t want to buy used in my area due to the flood last year), I’d really rather fix it...
thanks for any advice, info on where to start...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The problem is the control board.

Is there any number after the "P" at the end of your model number?

If not, then your control board is No Longer Available.

Jake

sarajaye

Premium Member
Thank you Jake!
I appreciate the response. Nothing after the P.
It was worth a try though!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake