• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JFC2089HEP Jenn-Air Service Mode and Damper Issues

Mschoaf

Premium Member
Model Number
JFC2089HEP
Brand
Jenn-Air
I have a couple things going on and am looking for some help.

In full disclosure, I mistakenly left one of the refrigerator doors open overnight. This unit is just an extra in our garage in Arizona. So when I noticed in the morning that the door was in fact ajar, I checked the inside to find it was a balmy 89 degrees. I closed the door thinking it would get back to normal temps. Went to work and came home and it was still at 89. Unplugged it and plugged back in and waited a few minutes. Sounds like the motor/blower are working but not cooling. Took the damper cover off and noticed the damper was closed but could feel cold air blowing out of the cracks. I put the fat end of a screwdriver in to keep the damper open and the fridge finally came back to 36. Of course it kept going lower despite having set it at 36....went down to 33 so i pulled out the screwdriver and a few hours later it started to climb back up. I now have the screwdriver back in and am thinking about using some duct tape to control the air flow.

I searched on how to get it into service mode and have found conflicting reports. I believe I'm supposed to hold down Door Alarm then push fridge temp up. Well holding down Door Alarm allows me to change F or C, Sabbath mode and alarms but fridge temp up does nothing. The button acts correctly for example changing the temp and selecting F or C but not as far as getting it into service mode.

I've seen posts of other people having similar issue with door alarm and sabbath but hasn't been resolved.

Does anybody have any ideas? I really don't want to plop down $310 for a control board if that's not it.

Thanks,
Mike

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you can locate your tech sheet, probably behind the lower kickplate grill, it will tell you how to enter service mode. Check for 12 VDC at the damper motor. No 12 VDC means the control board is bad.

That control board has been discontinued and is no longer available: WP12782036SP Electronic Control Board

Mschoaf

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. I was able to finally get into service mode and went to run the damper test. The display changes to -OP so it should be in the process of opening but it never moves or changes from that display. So figuring the damper is bad.

On RepairClinic.com a search for my model and damper results in this: https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a4b103i485d656670/Model-JFC2089HEP-Jenn-Air-Refrigerator-Damper-Control-Assembly-Parts.

What is the difference between these 2 parts? Should I just start with the cheaper one?

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
No don't do that. The parts diagrams are very ambiguous at times. Seems like they are written by sadists often. Serial number of your appliance determines which part fits your unit.

Have your model number and serial number available and call repairclinic and let them figure it out. If they are wrong you can return it.

Mschoaf

Premium Member
Thank you for your time Rick. I have ordered the part and will report back once I get it installed. BTW, I ran a few other diagnostics from service mode and everything else seems to be working properly, so I am hoping this is all I'll need.

rickgburton

Staff member
Anytime my friend! Keep us posted. I think that's all you need. It's rare to have more than one part fail at a time.

Mschoaf

Premium Member
Last edited:

Mschoaf

Premium Member
UPDATE
Got the correct part and connected it. Ran service test and BINGO worked like a charm! 2 more minutes and everything was back together. Thank you Rick and the other pros that help the amateurs like me with these issues. It says quite a bit about you taking the time out of your day to provide free assistance and expertise. Many thanks again!

BTW here was my temperature control set up while the damper was down:
582BDFDE-6D02-44A7-B8CC-31E5EFE14BB5.jpg

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
You're welcome my friend! Glad we could help..........mmm...coors! I'm taking your beer!....lol