• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JFC2089HES Jenn-Air Freezer and Refrigerator Not Cooling

dsturch

Premium Member
Model Number
JFC2089HES
Brand
Jenn-Air
I have a Jenn Air JFC2089HES (french door, bottom freezer) refrigerator that was purchased by my home's previous owner in 2007 and the fridge has been working flawlessly up until about a week ago.

I woke up one day and when I went to the freezer, I noticed that the items inside had partially defrosted. I assumed I hadn't closed the drawer properly, so I made sure it was closed and went about my business. Over the course of the next day, I saw the temp raise in the freezer as well as the refrigerator compartment. The temps in both the fridge and freezer never came down, and I have since moved all of the food to our garage fridge/freezer.

Current status:
-Both the fridge and freezer have been empty and allowed to be at room temp for a few days, fridge reports at about ~70 degrees and the freezer reports at about ~63 degrees. There is no frost build up anywhere on the unit.
-The coils underneath the fridge have been cleaned of dust and debris
-All of the lights in the fridge and freezer work
-Compressor clicks on after fridge is plugged in and hums (gets warm to the touch, but never hot)
-Condenser fan works
-The temp control panel (in the fridge section) reports the current temps and temp changes
--Raising the temp high enough (to "off") from the control panel results in an audible click and then cuts off the compressor and condenser fan
-The freezer fan blows - though room temp air is coming out
-The fridge fan blows, but room temp air blows out

I replaced the compressor start device and capacitor since it was inexpensive and it could easily be replaced and ruled out. There is no difference in fridge operation between the old and new parts, or even mixtures of the two. Needless to say, these parts did not resolve the issue.

I'm not sure where to go next. I've been looking through tons of forums to see what people suggest, but I'm starting to worry that there's a refrigerant/leak issue. I haven't been able to get into test or service mode and I'm not sure it'll even help. But I am relatively handy, so I don't mind doing further diagnostic work if suggested.

I'm just hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I can self repair, or at least make a more informed decision on whether if it's worth calling in a tech. With Black Friday deals just around the corner, I can't justify spending a few hundred dollars on fixing a 10+ year old fridge if I can get a new one for a little more. But I also don't want to throw away a fridge that could have been saved.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi David,

Plug the refrigerator back in and let it run for a couple hours, then remove the back access panel inside the freezer and look at your evaporator coil frost pattern. Normal would be a thin layer of frost on all the coils from Top to Bottom.

If not, then you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake

dsturch

Premium Member
Thanks for the response, Jake.

I let the fridge run for a few hours tonight and then took off the back access panel inside the freezer to look at the evaporator coil frost pattern - there was no frost at all.

The fridge remained untouched for the past 4 years, so I'm not sure what would have caused the sudden issue. I do have a faint memory of the fridge making a slightly different noise compared to usual in the days leading up to the break, but I only remember noticing that something about the compressor sounded slightly different compared to normal.

I guess that's it. From everything I've read and your final suggestion it may just be time for a new fridge.

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I let the fridge run for a few hours tonight and then took off the back access panel inside the freezer to look at the evaporator coil frost pattern - there was no frost at all.
Was the compressing running? Did you put your hand on the top of it and it was vibrating?

Jake

dsturch

Premium Member
Yes, the compressor was running. I could feel the vibration start once the compressor kicked on.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes its definitely a sealed system problem then.

When looking for a new refrigerator I suggest Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Jenn-Air, and Amana.:)

I've been running into a lot of compressors failing on LG, Samsung, and GE in 3 to 4 years or less.

I had TWO this week I went out on both LG and GE yesterday compressors were both bad and both units were less than 4 years old. And today I got one on a Samsung refrigerator that I going to now in Parker, Arizona and it will likely be a bad compressor as well.

Jake