JFC2089HES Jenn-Air Refrigerator - Food in refrigerator is freezing

RJHNY1

Premium Member
Model Number
JFC2089HES
Brand
Jenn-Air
Hi guys, I have a jenn air refrigerator model JFC2089HES. I moved into my house in September 2017. I know the previous owners redid their kitchen in 2007. I assume that's when the refrigerator was purchased, making it 12 years old today.

Ever since I moved into my house, the refrigerator is set to 37 degrees (I have never been able to raise or lower the temperature for some reason). I haven't had any issues, but there is one specific spot on the top shelf, in the middle, toward the back wall where if I put something liquid, it will partially freeze. That was the only spot. This appears to be directly underneath where the damper control is.

Now, over the past few weeks, various things in my refrigerator has partially frozen. It doesn't partially freeze everything, just some things, such as strawberries and blackberries, my wife's coconut almond milk, and celery, all of which are stored on the middle and bottom shelves as well as the vegetable drawer.

In addition, the refrigerator thermostat easily jumps up to 40 degrees even though the refrigerator door is open a very short period of time to fill up a glass of water or to get a few things out. It never jumped up like that. Today, it jumped up to 45 degrees and then quickly went back down to 37.

I attempted to clean the coils with a vacuum cleaner. It wasn't a deep clean, but I took the grille off and vacuumed the front. The fan in the back of refrigerator (located right off the floor) works fine. I read that sometimes if there's a blockage of a vent, it can affect the temperature in the refrigerator, but I don't see anything blocking a vent (assuming I'm looking at the right area).

I'm thinking maybe it's an issue with the damper or the main control board? How can I diagnose it before spending hundreds on replacement parts?

Thanks for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The problem with the temperature not being able to be raised or lowered is the keypad assembly has a short in it. That part is still available, but the display board is not. And letting that go for this long may have caused the display board to start malfunctioning too.

Keypad Assembly WP67005445

If you can locate your tech sheet, probably behind the lower kickplate grill, it will tell you how to enter service mode. Check for 12 Volts DC at the damper motor. No 12 Volts DC means the control board is bad.

That control board has also been discontinued and is no longer available: WP12782036SP Electronic Control Board

So with the parts on this model starting to get discontinued you may not want to throw any money at it at all, and go buy a new refrigerator.

The average life of refrigerators now is only 8-12 years, so being at 12 years is basically end of life now.

Jake

RJHNY1

Premium Member
Thank you so much for your reply. I have a few questions.

1) What are you referring to when you say "display board." Is that the same thing as the main control board?

2) Is the inability to raise or lower the temperature related to my food freezing? It wasn't an issue for the previous two years.

3) What do you mean by a tech sheet? The kickplate grill is on the front, on the bottom, right? I've removed that before, but I didn't see where it would tell me how to enter service mode? I'm a little confused here.

I'm a very green newbie when it comes to trying to troubleshoot a refrigerator, so thank you for your time and patience.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
1. No, Behind your keypad is the display board, that shows your temperatures, the keypad only makes the numbers go higher or lower.

2. That's possible, but if it wasn't a problem till now, then it's possibly the damper.

3. All appliances come with tech. data sheets, if its not behind your kickplate grille, then look under your top right hinge cover.

Jake

RJHNY1

Premium Member
Ok, I'll take a look for the tech data sheet. If the issue is potentially the damper, is there a way to test for that?

I understand some of the parts have been discontinued, but wouldn't it be possible to find a replacement part on the internet somewhere, like ebay or whoever?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I understand some of the parts have been discontinued, but wouldn't it be possible to find a replacement part on the internet somewhere, like ebay or whoever?
I wouldn't, because there are too many scammers out there. Then if you do get lucky and find one, then 6 months later your compressor dies, then your looking at $700 to replace the compressor.

Its best just to start over on a new refrigerator since yours is 12 years old.

Jake

RJHNY1

Premium Member
Ok, thank you for that honest assessment. I'm actually surprised to hear you say that the lifespan of a refrigerator is 8-12 years old. I thought they lasted closer to 15-20 years. My parents' refrigerator is almost 20 years old...it did need repairs over the years, but it's doing great.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's the average life, some can go more and some less.

But when parts stopped being made for it that sends up a red flag to be careful about how much money you put in it, and you may have multiple problems too.

If you did replace the keypad assembly that will fix the moving up and down the temperature numbers but we don't know for sure if it will stop the freezing problem still, as you may have another issue causing that.

And the thermostat jumping numbers is separate issue too. That's why I mentioned it could be the display board malfunctioning as well causing that.

Jake

RJHNY1

Premium Member
Thanks. I couldn't find a tech sheet. It wasn't in the hinge on top or behind the kickplate grill.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'll ask our tech BB if he has it.

Jake

RJHNY1

Premium Member
You rock bigbuck! Thank you.

So, I would enter service test mode and then do service test 121, which is the damper operation?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks BB!

Yes, enter Service Test Mode then do test 121 Damper Operation.

Jake

RJHNY1

Premium Member
So, maybe the control board/keypad is shot. I cannot seem to get it into service test mode. The instructions state to hold the door alarm keypad and then hold the up button an then to release the door alarm keypad. I tried this multiple times, but the display does not change to show the numbers.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's what I was thinking, you won't be able to do the tests till you replace the keypad assembly and possibly the display board too.

Jake

RJHNY1

Premium Member
And at this point, it seems like a waste of money and time to try to fix it only to try to diagnose the next problem, which will then cost more money and time. I'm thinking what you said in the first post is correct in that it is time to purchase a new refrigerator. If so, just out of curiosity, which brands do you like these days? I would stick with the french door refrigerator with a bottom freezer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is correct.

We recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana.

Jake

RJHNY1

Premium Member
Thanks. Whirlpool owns Jenn-Air, Maytag, Amana, and KitchenAid, right? I assume this means you also endorse Jenn Air because it falls under the Whirlpool umbrella?

Jake, thank you so much for all of your time and help. I greatly appreciate it. You're a treasure.