• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JFC2089HES Jenn-Air refrigerator - unplugging overnight starts cooling and gets cold then it just seems to stop working

kiwiclive

Premium Member
Model Number
JFC2089HES
Brand
Jenn-Air
After unplugging overnight starts cooling and gets cold then it just seems to stop working you can hear the motor going but its warms in both the freezer and fridge. It doesn't seem to be icing up as it cools for a few hours then stops cooling. Can't find the service sheet to put it in service mode and troubleshoot. Could it be the start or run capacitor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When it stops cooling--->Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower rear access panel and see if the condenser fan motor, which is mounted next to the compressor is running. Also put your hand on the top of the compressor and see if its Hot/Warm and vibrating.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, lets hope for the best!

Did you touch the top of the compressor to see if its warm/hot and vibrating?

Jake

kiwiclive

Premium Member
Warm and vibrating and is working fine for 4 hours now. But it has done this before after unplugging it for a while.
I was wondering if the defrost element might be out and icing up but it started acting up only after about 8 hours running and the humidity is low. I plan to check it as soon as it acts up again, the freezer is 2deg and 38 for the fridge at present.
I dont have the paperwork to access the service mode for this model.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I was wondering if the defrost element might be out and icing up but it started acting up only after about 8 hours running and the humidity is low. I plan to check it as soon as it acts up again
Not likely, because it takes much longer for the evaporator coil to build massive frost on it.

Usually the problem is the control board when it stops cooling and the fans/compressor don't come on again until after you unplug it from the wall outlet to reset it.

Unfortunately the control board is No Longer Available: 12782025 Control Board

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, lets hope.:)

Jake

kiwiclive

Premium Member
Hi Jake I am back, well it stopped cooling again. The compressor is hot I can keep my hand on it but just the condenser fan is running and so is the compressor and a warming refrigerator. Well that's how it was this morning. I have unplugged it and put a fan on the compressor to cool it, I removed the pannel, and see how it does in a while.
Clive

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Clive keep us posted.

Jake

kiwiclive

Premium Member
Well after cooling off it's running fine.. Control board? perhaps the condenser fan has a problem? but running when I check it. No ice or water in the bottom of the freezer what's left?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are your condenser coils clean?

Get a vacuum cleaner attachment or condenser brush to clean your condenser. Even better would be if you have an air compressor or shop vac to blow the condenser coils out, yes its a bit more messy on your kitchen floor, but it cleans it thoroughly.:)

Vacuum Hose Attachment 8171579A

Refrigerator Condenser Cleaning Brush

Also pull your refrigerator out from the wall and clean in the back with a vacuum or brush. If the condenser fan is running at full speed then it should be fine.

Jake

kiwiclive

Premium Member
Yes done that with a shop vac and compressed air and the spotless fan seems to be running full speed. Still working fine this morning will keep watching it. A real head-scratcher.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Next time it happens see if the compressor is HOT and running or HOT and NOT running, also see if the condenser fan next to it is running.

Jake