• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JFD2589KES Jenn-Air Fridge Temperature Issues

burningbrain

Premium Member
Model Number
JFD2589KES
Brand
Jenn-Air
At my wits end trying to address temperature variability in my Jenn-Air fridge after replacing 2 parts. Any help on the below is greatly appreciated.

Model: Jenn-Air JFD2589KES

Serial: 12442631NE

Type: French Door Fridge, Freezer on Bottom

Symptoms:

• Items in back of fridge will freeze, most prominent, the back bottom
  • Temperature in back of fridge at any shelf level and deli tray can get as low as 26 degrees, with fridge setting on 38 degrees, freezer set to 0 degrees
  • Temperature monitored closer to the front and near the fridge thermistor will read correctly, typically 36-38 degrees
  • Cannot operate the waterline as the reservoir is subjected to this freezing (it's in the middle back of the fridge)
Steps Taken so Far:

• Replaced entire fridge damper assembly
  • Replaced fridge thermistor/temperature gauge
  • Cleaned entire back and bottom of fridge, ensuring coils completely clean
  • Ensured no air vents are blocked
  • Does not matter if deli tray in "cold, colder, or coldest" setting
  • Ensured the lights don't remain on when doors closed
  • Cleaned entire freezer and fridge gasket, ensuring no gaps, leaks, dirtiness
  • I did notice that the freezer ticks up a few degrees prior to the compressor firing on, maximum I've see it do this is 4 degrees (it is set to 0)

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

burningbrain

Premium Member
I think I reached my technical ability on measuring the resistance. The fridge thermistor has so little slack and I don't know where it connects to a control board without disassembling the entire fridge. Its identical to the thermistor in the latter half of this video:

I did set a portable digital temperature gauge in the fridge, and all readings closest to the thermistor/control board are normal.

Any other ideas? I think this design is terrible, where the only thermistor is at the top of the fridge section if I am correct.

What I suspect is that some vent is staying open under the crisper bins and deli tray, letting freezing air in. So far, I cannot find a part that has any mention of a closing flap, gasket, or opening near the bottom of the fridge. All looks normal on the deli cold control sliding door, but that lets freezing air in too I suspect?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
where the only thermistor is at the top of the fridge section if I am correct.
I don't think you are but you're half right. I think there is only one thermistor. Here's the deal, unfortunately I don't have any tech info on that particular model but booking at a similar models wire diagram, I don't see any thermistor in the FF compartment. I checked the parts breakdown on two sites and the only thermistor I see is the one in the freezer section on the evaporator cover. Thermistors are not interchangeable across manufactures. If there really is a thermistor connected to the temperature display board, that's where you need to focus. You may have got a bad new part. However, if there is no thermistor connected to the board you replaced, measure the resistance of the Freezer thermistor first and if it checks OK, this is the board you need:

Thermistors are variable resistors that change value with temperature. You need to know the temperature of the thermistor to check the resistance. The most accurate way is to place the thermistor in a small glass of crushed ice and water for a couple minutes. That will bring the thermistor temperature to close to 32°F. At 32°F the thermistor should have 8.75KΩ (8,750 Ω). K=1000 The colder it gets the more resistance it will have. Make sure your meter is set to the correct ohms scale (20K). If you want to check the thermistor at the board while it's still installed in the freezer and the freezer temperature is 0°F, the resistance of the thermistor should measure 22.1KΩ - 23.5KΩ (22,100 ohms to 23,500Ω)

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
rickgburton said:
I think there is only one thermistor.
The wiring diagram shows 2 and there's one listed in the parts list with the evaporator and another with the controls. They are both replaced by the same part # 12002355.

image.png
JFYI

Last edited:

burningbrain

Premium Member
Thanks, and just to re-iterate, I have replaced that FF thermistor (which didn't do anything). Still the same issue where freezing temps sit in the back and bottom of the fridge, normal temps out front and top where FF thermistor lives.

burningbrain

Premium Member
Just as an update, I went through all the service codes, and didn't see any errors, broken circuits, etc. My next plan is to completely defrost the whole unit over 48 hours.

As an experiment, I temporarily blocked the bottom hole/vent that controls the deli track "cold/coldest" setting, and the temperature dipped to nearly 20 degrees at the bottom of the fridge. I'm thinking some vent is partially blocked with debris or a frozen block that is hindering air circulation.