JFI2089AEB2 Jenn-Air Water leaking from underneath ice maker

jmucciol

Premium Member
Model Number
JFI2089AEB2
Brand
Jenn-Air
I've recently experienced this same issue on my Jenn Air French Door model JFI2089AEB2. Water is dripping from the underside of the ice maker assembly (and freezing) and some dripping in to the ice bin and resulting in a large block of ice being formed. We also have ice forming around the ice door and water dripping into the exterior water catch / tray and then onto the floor. I checked the bulb at the top of the fridge and it was not cracked. Ice appears to accumulate between the underside of the ice mold and the top of the "Impinger Assembly" (I got this description from online diagram). I removed the ice maker assembly, thawed all the ice. I did not notice a clogged or cracked filler tube. After turning the ice maker on again, the same symptoms have returned. Any advice is very much appreciated.

jmucciol

Premium Member
I've recently experienced this same issue on my Jenn Air French Door model JFI2089AEB2. Water is dripping from the underside of the ice maker assembly (and freezing) and some dripping in to the ice bin and resulting in a large block of ice being formed. We also have ice forming around the ice door and water dripping into the exterior water catch / tray and then onto the floor. I checked the bulb at the top of the fridge and it was not cracked. Ice appears to accumulate between the underside of the ice mold and the top of the "Impinger Assembly" (I got this description from online diagram). I removed the ice maker assembly, thawed all the ice. I did not notice a clogged or cracked filler tube. After turning the ice maker on again, the same symptoms have returned. Any advice is very much appreciated.
After turning on the ice maker again, I heard the trays refilling. So I removed the Ice Bin Assembly and could see water dripping from the front right underside of the ice maker assembly (see attached photo).

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Your fill tube is cracked or clogged? Its most likely cracked, if it was clogged no water would be coming out. If its cracked I'd replace it.

It looks like your ice maker is overfilling, you can try to lower the amount that goes in it, Jeff shows you how here: Ice Fill Adjustment | Appliance Aid

Here's the fill tube assembly for your model:
Fill Tube 67006317

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

jmucciol

Premium Member
Hi Jake, Thank you for the quick response.

1) I've turned the set screw a half turn clockwise to reduce the amount of water flow. I'll let you know if this helps the issue.
2) I'm not sure how I can confirm if the fill tube is cracked. I checked at the access panel at the top of the fridge and I didn't see any cracks.
3) I noticed that some of the ice tray lining is missing on the first (front side) ice mold (see photo). Is it possible that cube is not ejecting because it's getting caught on the rough edge where the lining is peeling and resulting in more water being in the ice tray than should be since all the molds should be empty? Looks like I need to replace the Mold and Heater Tray.

Any additional suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again, John

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, I see that, that's the cause. You will need a new ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
Ice Maker Assembly WPW10190981

Jake

jmucciol

Premium Member
Thank you for the confirm Jake.
Reducing the water has flow has reduced the amount of water leaking into the bin and into the exterior water bin (OK for a short-term fix).

Q: Rather than replacing the Ice Maker Assembly, could I only replace the Ice Mold?:

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jmucciol

Premium Member
Hi Jake, I have not yet purchased any new ice maker parts but a new issue appeared today. The tray fills with water and and freezes, but the ice does not eject from the trays. Any tips you can share are very much appreciated. Thank you, John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes John, like I mentioned above, the problem is the ice maker, I've seen this about 100 times on my service calls in the last 20 years.

Jake