JFI2589AES3 Jenn-Air Refrigerator - Water dispenser won't turn off

rbrimer

Premium Member
Model Number
JFI2589AES3
Brand
Jenn-Air
I have a Jenn-Air Model JFI2589AES3 that's giving me trouble. The dispenser got stuck in the on position the other day and water went everywhere of course. I've replaced the chute already and that didn't fix the issue. It'll work fine for 15-20 times, then get stuck again and I have to shut the water off. There is a minor clunk when it does work the 15-20 times and engages. Once it gets stuck it makes the water hammer "jackhammer" sound until I turn the water supply off.

I've unplugged the power and tested and no water comes out, so I don't think it's the intake valve. Water pressure is good (maybe too good, thus the water hammer) and ice maker works fine. It doesn't leak just standing still with the water supply on. I've changed the water filter to a new one and that didn't fix either. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Andy,

So when when you unplugged the refrigerator from the wall outlet the water didn't keep flowing out? But the water hammer noise kept going until you turned the water supply line off?

The only other part left that would cause this is the water filter housing itself.

Here's the water filter housing assembly for your model:
WP12956202 Water Tank/head Assy.

There is a video in that link to the part I posted above that shows how to replace it.:)

Jake

rbrimer

Premium Member
Hi Jake. Sorry, the water hammer only happens when power and water are on and it gets stuck in the on position. With the power off and water on, no water flows out on its own or when I press the paddle. Also, it makes no noise at all no matter how many times I press the paddle. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then remove your water filter and install your filter bypass cap and see if it still does that.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

rbrimer

Premium Member
Jake

Put in the bypass cap and same result. Water on and power off = no water and no sound and no leaking. Water on and power on = water dispenses with the small clunk (I didn't repeatedly try until it stuck again and did the jackhammer). Thanks again.

Andy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Andy, then it would be your water inlet valve that's causing this problem.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order, which is located inside the refrigerator:
Water Inlet Valve 67006322

There is a video in this link that shows you how to replace it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Andy, let us know how it goes.

Jake