• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JGB700SEJ4SS GE gas range smelled like gas, then stopped igniting

TBarr007

Premium Member
Model Number
JGB700SEJ4SS
Brand
GE
Hello,
I have a GE oven/range, it's natural gas. It's 3 years old and has had no problems. Last night, my wife had preheated the oven to the lowest setting (170F) and it got there just fine. I then went to use the stovetop and since I was going to be cooking for a bit, we turned the oven off. Stovetop worked fine.

Later, my wife went to heat the oven again and stepped away. About five minutes later I walked in and noticed it smelled very strongly of gas; it was glowing inside but I wasn't sure if it was lit or not. We turned the oven off and aired the area out a bit, then took a look again.

Now, the stovetop continues to work just fine. However, although the ignitor for the broiler and the bake light up, it does not ignite. I also don't smell gas any more.

User manual says to check the regulator is on (it is). I've also read about the ignitors. I guess my question is, would the ignitors still be the right place to start since gas was coming out before we turned the oven off? Seems odd that suddenly neither bake nor broil work.

Thank you!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
User manual says to check the regulator is on

That would usually affect all gas burners at the same time. If the surface burners work, the regulator is unlikely to be responsible for oven ignition problems.

TBarr007 said:
I guess my question is, would the ignitors still be the right place to start since gas was coming out before we turned the oven off?

Yes. Their amperage draw needs to be checked to determine if they're the cause or not. They are the most common failure point in such a system.

Link to related information

LINK > Bake Ignitor WB13X25500

LINK > Broil Ignitor WB13X24755 (no pic)

TBarr007 said:
Seems odd that suddenly neither bake nor broil work.

Perhaps but are you certain it was working right before? Also, we find higher humidity in summer often affects 'weak' failing ignitor so you might not necessarily have noticed poor performance previously which is now affected by current ambient conditions more.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited:

TBarr007

Premium Member
Hi, following up here--what should the amperage be, or what should I look for to prove defectiveness? Since the cause was intermittent we haven't done much, but my wife walked away today with it not igniting and the house got very smelly and full of gas so it's time to just tackle this, so I want to be sure I troubleshoot properly and fix. Thank you!

**edit** never mind, what I thought was an ad in your previous comment is actually the info I needed. thank you!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
what I thought was an ad in your previous comment is actually the info I needed.

Yes. I edited the message to make that more clear.

Your ignitors (and the majority used on US models) require 3.2 to 3.6 amps to fully open the gas valve and ignite the gas. I do not know any other way to determine their functioning other than just replacing them.

Let us know how you make out.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.