• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JGBP35BEA2BB GE gas range broiler - weak flame with gas smell

johnhon

Premium Member
Model Number
JGBP35BEA2BB
Brand
GE
The oven in my gas range is working but the broiler has been acting up over the last month or so. When I turn the broiler on hi, the igniter glows within 10 seconds and stays on, but the gas flame is weak and sometimes is burning on only half of the burner tube, and the flame flutters a bit. There is also the smell of gas when the door is opened, and sometimes when the stove isn't on. I've sprayed down gas connections on the rear of the stove and haven't found any leaks. I've replaced the gas valve recently thinking that would fix it but it didn't. How should I go about checking other components? Thanks in advance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The igniter needs to draw 2.0 to 3.0 amps to open the valve. They get weak over time. Here's the part you need:

johnhon

Premium Member
So, I bought the part you suggested and my broiler igniter goes on within 5 seconds but the broiler doesn't light at all now after waiting 3 minutes. No flame and the ignitor stays lit. So, now buy another part?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick should be back soon.

Check your broil burner tube port holes, if they are clogged up or semi-clogged up it will cause this issue as well. Especially the burner port holes where the ignitor mounts close to the burner tube.

Use a wire brush to clean those burner port holes.

Jake

johnhon

Premium Member
That's not the problem. I cleaned it thoroughly when I installed the igniter. I'll test the safety valve.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then it has to be the oven safety valve, that's the only part left that would cause this problem.

Here's the oven safety valve for your model:
Oven Safety Valve WB19K14

Jake

johnhon

Premium Member
I'm getting continuity at both the oven and broiler terminals. If I needed a safety valve, wouldn't I get a no continuity reading?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, because it can still pass the ohm test, but still fail mechanically.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
broiler igniter goes on within 5 seconds but the broiler doesn't light at all now after waiting 3 minutes
It's was working correctly then just stopped? What's the amp draw from the igniter? Don't touch the igniter with your fingers. You have the round igniter so the amp draw should be 2-3 amps. Here's how to connect your meter:
C-Igniter Amps.jpg