• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JGBS23DEM1WW GE stove has yellow flame after regulator replacement.

cowking

Premium Member
Model Number
JGBS23DEM1WW
Brand
GE
I have a JGBS23DEM1WW GE range. I use natural gas, I've had it 8 years bought it as a "costumer return". It has always made a humming noise, but worked great so never did much about it. Lately my wife was talking about smelling gas, so I had a plumber check it out, he didn't notice any leaks by the lines, but said it could be the stove's regulator that is bad. Ok ordered a new one and decided to do job myself.

When I took off the old regulator I discovered that the little nozzle on the regulator that you flip around for converting to LP was completely missing! Figured that must be the noise issue. Well since I already had the new regulator and didn't know where the old nozzle was, I just put the new regulator in. It all worked fine for one day, then the next day (today) I use the stove and the flames are yellow. I thought maybe the new regulator was bad, so I put the old one back on but put the new nozzle on it, no humming but it is still yellow flames.

I removed the nozzle so that it essentially is exactly as it was before, it goes back to humming and it still makes a yellow flame. Everything I find online talks about adjusting the air shutters, this stove specifically says that it doens't have air shutters for the top range, only the oven does. Could I have done something that would cause this, why did it work for a day? Any help on this would be great.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, Did you use any sealant on the connections? First, make sure the valve is set for natural gas (NAT). The new valve should be set for NAT by default. Make sure the gas supply valve for the range is open all the way. Close it and open it then turn on all the surface units for 2 minutes. Do not turn on the oven yet. after the 2 minutes the surface units should be working correctly if they are, turn them off and try the oven. If the flames are still not right, your new valve is bad. Exchange it for a replacement. If it worked for a day then quit it's probably the new part. Where did you get it? We've been seeing a lot of issues with Amazon and eBay lately.

cowking

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply, so yes I did use sealant on the threads, I have checked for leaks with soapy water, no leaks. And yes the the nipple is set for Natural gas. The gas supply valve is open all the way.

Last night before bed, flames were yellow, woke up this morning tested again, flames are almost all blue but the tips flicker yellow a little. I went through the process you recommended, and results are the same. I've put a link up of where I am at now, it is better than yesterday but is it safe?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VTugQeJ72nB9kqEa7

Thank you again.

cowking

Premium Member
Thank you so much for your time. I guess I don't know what fixed it, yesterday I let it run for 20 minutes and that didn't fix it. But letting it sit overnight did. Go figure.

rickgburton

Staff member
When you move an older range it knocks off the carbon deposits on the inside of the burners and manifold and the gas flow pushes it out the burners and they burn yellow. Turn the burner on and tap on the burner cap with the back of a screwdriver and it will knock it loose. You can do the same with the oven manifold.

cowking

Premium Member
Holy Cow, I came back on here because I wanted to post that the yellow flame was back and I saw the post by big buck. It is strange because the same day that I replaced the gas regulator was the first day I ever ran a humidifier in the house b/c I read that it helps with colds and we all have one of those. But I don't have the silver thing on my humidifier, mine is just a normal one, so I still thought it was unrelated. I turned off the humidifier yesterday when I saw this post and the yellow flame is gone this morning! That must be it. How crazy, on the same day I replace the regulator I also start using a humidifier! Who would have thought that the poor performance would be from humidifier, and not from the new regulator put in. Never would have guessed that because of the big coincidence but glad that it is an easy fix. Thanks both Rick and Buck, you saved me from buying a new range that would have produced a yellow flame anyways, at least until cold season was over.