• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JGS8860BDP Jenn-Air Range - Oven burner sputters and sometimes re-ignites collected gas.

AlanMixon

Premium Member
Model Number
JGS8860BDP
Brand
Jenn-Air
I have the same problem as listed in the following thread.
I first started investigating when the oven kept popping or booming, from accumulated gas ignition. Not strong boom but enough to get your attention. When I looked at the flame operation it was exactly the same as shown in "glandjr" 's thread above. I also smell the gassy, (poor combution) smell that "glandjr" did. The operation was identical down to the strange action after the door was closed. Within 20 seconds of closing the flame pushes back down the tube toward the igniter then suddenly speads back to the end. This only happens after the door closes. This makes me think that back pressure in the oven is affecting the gas flow down the tube. Based on another blog I have changed the igniter thinking the current could be inconsistent , causing the valve to modulate. However the operation is the same with the new igniter. The other strange thing is that the top burner looks absolutely perfect. It burns all the way to the end and has a strong flame with the door open or closed. I know my gas pressure is good. it has been tested with the central heat running and doesnt budge. The oven uses 1/6th the gas.
The problem has to be with the gas valve but why doesnt the top flame show the problem? There was a comment that the flame was trailing back due to the missing spreader plate. I plan to look under the bottom pan with a snake cam to see if this has an influence on the burner look.

Any clues as to a common cause?

My burner looks and acts so much like the video from "glandjr" that it could have been filmed in my oven.

AlanMixon

Premium Member
I just looked at the flame with the spreader plate installed. I could only view for about 45 seconds due to thermals on my camera. I stuck the cam in the first vent hole on the right side and looked at the end farthest from the source. Initially i saw flame on the left side but none on the right side. I opened the door for a seconds and the suction from the door pulled the flame to the end of the tube. I closed the door and the flame pushed back away from the end again. I wish i could have viewed for a long time but i dont want to melt my camera.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like your oven bake burner tube might be clogged:

Rick said this:
Another thing to check is the burner where the igniter mounts. There's a few small holes in the side of the burner so the gas blows onto the igniter. Use a wire brush to clean them.
Check and clean ALL the burner port holes with a wire brush too.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.