• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JGS968SH6SS GE Oven not heating

nola mike

Premium Member
Model Number
JGS968SH6SS
Brand
GE
I changed out the igniter on the above oven. The old one had some melting at the plastic connector; I figured something had shorted out there. New igniter lasted through 1 1/2 pizzas before going south. At this point the connector had melted quite a bit more (wasn't able to disconnect it). Swapped out the igniter again, but this time it still didn't work. The gas valve doesn't have continuity on the bake side, so guessing that's the culprit? I'm trying to figure out if I have power to the valve, but am not sure how it's wired.
1. How can I test to see if I'm getting the proper voltage from the control board?
2. Any harm in swapping the bake/broil side wires? If I swap the bake wires onto the broil side, and my ignitor then works and the broil valve opens, then the valve is the culprit...
3. Why did my connector melt twice?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check for 120 volts where the bake igniter connects to the electrical connector when you have it set to BAKE and turned ON.

What is the part number of the BAKE igniter you replaced and where did you get it from?

Here's the BAKE igniter for your model:
Igniter WB13T10045

On this model you can swap the BROIL and BAKE igniters, they both use the same part number.

Jake

nola mike

Premium Member
Whoops, forgot to follow up. It was the valve. Strange though that the igniter replacement fixed it for a minute before the valve went out. Also the scorch marks (on the back protective cover, forgot to mention that) and the melted connector. Still not sure what to make of all that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is very odd, but not surprising since this range is over 10 years old, parts are more prone to wear out more quickly after 10 years old, so its best to replace both at the same time.

Here's the oven gas valve for this model in case others need it too:
WB21T10014 Valve Cntl

Thanks for the update Mike!

Jake