JGSP28SEK5SS oven won't light and one burner knob won't turn

SpecialK

Premium Member
Model Number
JGSP28SEK5SS
Brand
GE
We have a new to us GE range model JGSP28SEK5SS and have a couple of problems.

First, and most important, is that the oven will not light. The broiler works fine. This leads me to believe that the oven igniter is at fault here, but I'd love a second opinion.

Second, and less important, is that one of the burner knobs cannot be pressed down, and therefore cannot be turned. This one I'm not sure what might need replaced, but would welcome any input on the solution.

Thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It could be the igniter. There's several ways to check it. Disconnect the igniter connector and check it for continuity. Check for 120 VAC at the igniter when set to bake.

WB13T10045 Oven Igniter Assembly

Check the current draw with an amp meter.
C-OVEN AMPS.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
SpecialK said:
....knobs cannot be pressed down,
That's usually caused when the knob stem is cracked or the metal spacer inside the knob stem is missing. Check if it will push down with the knob off. Try a different knob.

SpecialK

Premium Member
Thanks. Tested igniter and it has no continuity and the connector in the oven has 120v on bake so it must be the igniter.

On the knob, I forgot to mention I've already taken it off and tried to push it down with no knob on it. Still no go. Afraid to beat on it with a hammer to knock it loose....

rickgburton

Staff member

SpecialK

Premium Member
The valve that we cannot get to push down or turn is for the right front burner. Which part do we need to buy to replace that?

Thanks for all your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
Here's the front:

The surface valve comes apart. It could just need some valve cock grease but most likely something broke inside the valve.

SpecialK

Premium Member
@rickgburton Do you have affiliate links to another appliance site by chance? Appliance Parts Pros will not ship to Puerto Rico. I'd like to get you your affiliate income for your help, but if they won't ship to me I've got to go somewhere else.

SpecialK

Premium Member
Or at the very least another trusted retailer where I can be sure I'm getting genuine parts?

SpecialK

Premium Member
Much appreciated, let me know. I'd hate to risk buying a crappy part from somewhere else.

I don't really understand why they won't ship to PR. They ship to Hawaii and shipping to PR is very similarly priced on UPS and Fedex, and identical on USPS...I called them but they wouldn't budge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Try RepairClinic and see if they ship to PR, if not then that's all we have.

Jake

SpecialK

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! If that doesn't work I'll just ship to someone in the states and have them relay it to me.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

SpecialK

Premium Member
I just got the valve in today. I plan on replacing it tomorrow. Do you know how the panel is removed to access the valve?

rickgburton

Staff member
Should be a couple of screws on the bottom of the console and one in each side.

SpecialK

Premium Member
I'll look again but I glanced at it tonight and it looked like rivets in the side like maybe it pivoted on them. I took out a few screws from the bottom but it didn't budge. I'll look closer tomorrow, thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
Unfortunately I don't have a disassembly manual but the parts diagram shows a screw: