• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JGSP31GER3WG GE Profile Range - oven not heating to temp

friarbarb

Premium Member
Model Number
JGSP31GER3WG
Brand
GE
I have an older GE Profile stove/oven, model JGSP31GER3WG.

I have noticed things baking taking way too long to cook properly, so I bought an oven thermostat (the type you just sit on the rack). I selected an oven temp of 400 degrees. When the oven indicator "beeped" that the oven had reached 400 degrees, I looked at the oven thermostat and it read 200 degrees. And the oven did not seem anywhere near 400 degrees.

So, I downloaded the manual from GE and followed the instructions to calibrate the oven temperature. It says I can adjust the temperature by 35 degrees up or down. So, I was wondering can I do this multiple times in order for the oven to reach a proper tempertature?

And, maybe the little oven temperature gauge is inaccurate, but I don't think it would be off by 200 degrees. And, again, the oven is getting no where near 400 degrees just by feel.

Any help appreciated.

Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Robert,

These:
Oven Thermometer

Have a little lag time, so you need to give it about 10-15 minutes to catch up when you set the oven at 400.

Jake

friarbarb

Premium Member
Yes, that's the type of oven thermo I used....
I did wait 15 minutes or more and the oven thermometer did get up to read 325 degrees, when the control pad is set to 400 degrees. I let the oven on for a bit, letting the oven burner go on and off for several cycles. The oven thermometer did not rise above 325 degrees.

So, should I try to calibrate the little oven thermo I have? And, should I calibrate the oven control pad temp per the owner's manual?

Thanks again!!
Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So, should I try to calibrate the little oven thermo I have? And, should I calibrate the oven control pad temp per the owner's manual?
Yes to both Robert.

Jake