• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JGSP40AES1AG Older GE Profile Bake/Broil/Clean buttons not working

retired4174

Premium Member
Model Number
JGSP40AES1AG
Brand
GE
I am asking about my mother's 30-year-old gas oven and I was not present when the issue started, so I am relying on her information which may or may not be accurate. Of course, on the night before Thanksgiving, she was baking some bread. She said she pushed the "Bake" button, which changes the display to a temperature setting. She set the temp and started the oven. She came back sometime later to check on things and the oven was off. She tried to restart the oven, but when she pushed the "bake" button nothing happened.

I looked at things, but nothing was obviously amiss. I turned the breaker off and let it sit for about 20 minutes as I poked around. I was hoping it may "reset" itself, but that did not work. So, everything on the display appears to work: clock, timer, timed cook, etc., but when bake, broil, or clean is pushed they don't function. For example, every time I pushed the "Bake" button the clock would blink, but it would not change to the setting to set the oven temperature.

I honestly don't know when she used the oven last, but to my knowledge, there have been no previous issues. I guess the most obvious issue would be the control panel itself, but I'm a little curious why it would affect all three buttons. I guess they could be connected somehow, but I would think if the "bake" button was bad it would affect the "bake" mode only.

I cannot get into any mode that would actually attempt to turn the oven on, so I don't know if igniters work or not. I started thinking (hoping) that maybe there is a safety feature on GE ovens that if an igniter goes out it disengages those buttons that turn on the oven????

The stovetop burners all work fine, just cannot get into any "oven" mode.

Anyway, I think that is all I have at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

GE Model # JGSP40AES1AG gas slide in range

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I've seen this happen many times on my service calls, its the clock oven control board that's bad. Unfortunately Its No Longer Available from the factory: WB27K5187

Looks like she will need to go new range shopping.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.