• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JGSP48B0H3BB GE Profile Gas Range Preheating but will not hold Bake temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblood98

Model Number
JGSP48B0H3BB
Brand
GE
My GE profile gas range oven will preheat but once the set temperature is reached, the igniter and gas turn off and never cycle back on. So, the actual temperature steadily drops over time resulting in food not cooked properly. Example as follows:
  1. Turn Oven on set bake temp to 375
  2. Igniter glows red, flames light
  3. Actual temp increases until it reaches set temp of 375, beeper sounds.
  4. Igniter turns off, flames go out.
  5. After 10 minutes, the actual temp has dropped to 325. Igniter comes on but flames do NOT light***
*** If I open and close oven door, the flame will relight almost instantly. The oven will heat to set temp but then the temp will steadily drop again.

What I have done so far:
  • Replaced igniter.
  • Replaced Temperature sensor.
  • Measured 3.25 - 3.28A current flow through igniter wire using clamp on ammeter (when igniter lit).
  • Replaced Control Board.

Other observations:

- Initial ignition occurs but seems to take longer that expected (i.e. 3-4 minutes).
-Preheat time is normal

Any Ideas? I'm reluctant to change the safety valve since it works during initial ignition and when oven door open/close but I'm at a loss here. Could this be related to the door switch?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The igniter needs to draw 3.2 to 3.6 amps to open the safety valve properly at all times. A new ignitor should be drawing closer to 3.6 amps. Your new one is only drawing 3.25 - 3.28 amps? Where did you get it at?

What was the old igniter drawing in amps?

Here's the OEM bake igniter for your model:
WB13T10045 Oven Igniter Assembly

Did you also check your burner tube port holes? I'd first check the oven bake burner tube port holes, they can get clogged right where the igniter is mounted next to the burner tube, so I'd check that first, get a wire brush to clean those port holes out.

Jake

jblood98

**FIXED** BAKE TUBE
Jake - Thanks for the reply! You were spot on with the burner tube port holes. The heat from the igniter seems to have damaged the burner tube in the vicinity of the igniter. At first glance, it just looked like a cosmetic surface corrosion, but upon further inspection, it became clear that the metal was crumbling apart. Just a small imperfection meant the tube didn't flow properly and wouldn't relight at temp. I installed a new tube, WB16T10022, and everything worked perfectly.

IMG_7972.jpg IMG_7971.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent jblood98, Yes I see the photos, yes sir that would cause it. Glad the new burner tube fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.