FIXED JIM158XXCX Jenn-air - thin ice

efazendin

Premium Member
Model Number
JIM158XXCX
Brand
Jenn-Air
I have a Jenn-air under counter ice maker that was performing perfectly for 5+ years, and admittedly I never cleaned the system with the liquid solution that runs through the system nor vacuumed out the compressor area. About 2 weeks ago it started to make only thin ice.

At the thin ice rate it melts faster than it accumulates. If I run with Speed Ice on it accumulates faster than it melts, but it's still thin / slushy.

I ran the liquid cleaner (4396808 Cleaner) through the system 2 times. I opened the front panel and vacuumed out the compressor / radiator, but there wasn't much dirt there to begin with. This is in my basement, which is not highly trafficked nor very dirty.

I've taken everything apart and reassembled but did not see anything obvious.

Water fills the reservoir. It cycles the water over the chiller plate. There are no unusual noises.

The machine probably fills the reservoir about 2/3rds full. If I manually fill the reservoir up to the the overflow drain then it will make thick ice.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like its not filling enough on its own.

To check that, I always turn the water OFF to the ice machine, then remove the water line to the ice machine then get a bucket or container to catch water in, then put your water line in the bucket or container and turn on the water to see how fast its flowing, should be very strong water pressure, not a weak flow.

If your water pressure is fine, then the problem is your water inlet valve, that's where your water line hooks up to on your ice machine.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order, if needed:
W10585391 Valve

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake