• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JJW9630DDB Jenn-Air wall oven dead

Ron6519

Premium Member
Model Number
JJW9630DDB
Brand
Jenn-Air
Oven died Saturday, 12/28. We used both ovens on Xmas set to 450 for two hours with no issue. Went to reset the clock after a new electric meter install and all of the touch screen was dead. Oven light not working as well.
No other electric devices in the house were affected by the meter change. Only other 240 appliance in the house is a Freidrich, Vertipak A/C and it works normally No breakers tripped. The whole house Surge protector was not tripped. There is power to the 240 outlet. Both hot legs are 125 volts between hot and neutral and hot and ground.. Tried to reset the breakers, no success. Tried leaving the breaker off for 10 minutes and then overnight. No success.
Tried to find a service manual for this appliance and was not successful.
Had an issue with the oven about 12 years ago with the "Self clean" mode where the oven would not get up to temperature afterward. Shut off the breaker over night and it started to operate normally. Have not used the Self Clean since.
No issues since.
Model No. JJW9630DDB
About 15 years old.

Thanks
Ron

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Ron6519 said:
Model No. JJW9630DDB
We also need its serial. There was a change in production of that model depending on the serial number range.

Ron6519 said:
Went to reset the clock after a new electric meter install and all of the touch screen was dead.
The display was totally dark as well?

There looks to be a high limit thermostat mounted on the rear of the oven that when open stops the internal red hot wire circuit soon after it enters the oven. If the 120 volt components of the appliance are connected to that red circuit, it being defective could be responsible for your symptoms.

LINK > JJW9630DDB High Limit Thermostat WP7403P899-60

image.jpeg

I'm not sure if it is a one-time fuse or resettable thermostat that is burnt out but it should be able to be tested for continuity... once you get to it.

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

Dan O.

Last edited:

Ron6519

Premium Member
Serial number is worn off label. Once I get it out of the opening, I'll check if it's anywhere else on the chassis.
There is no display. It's as if the oven was unplugged.
Will also check the high limit thermostat after I build a high cart to rest the unit on.
Thanks for the replies.
Ron

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Ron6519 said:
Serial number is worn off label.
That's ok for now. One of the two possible designs looks to use 2 of that same high limit thermostat. The other design looks to use just one.

If that isn't the cause, you might need to post a copy the wiring diagram from your oven so we can try to see what else might be responsible.

Dan O.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check for supply voltage at the board:
Snapshot_5.jpg

On the power board measure the voltage between :
J1-3 - J1-4 = 21.2 VAC
J1-1 - J1-2 = 13 VDC
J1-1 - J2-1 = 5 VDC
J1-1 - J5-1 = 12 VDC
J1-1 - J7-3 = 2.5 VDC
J1-1 - J8-1 = 12 VDC

Ron6519

Premium Member
We also need its serial. There was a change in production of that model depending on the serial number range.

The display was totally dark as well?

There looks to be a high limit thermostat mounted on the rear of the oven that when open stops the internal red hot wire circuit soon after it enters the oven. If the 120 volt components of the appliance are connected to that red circuit, it being defective could be responsible for your symptoms.

LINK > JJW9630DDB High Limit Thermostat WP7403P899-60

View attachment 47247

I'm not sure if it is a one-time fuse or resettable thermostat that is burnt out but it should be able to be tested for continuity... once you get to it.

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

Dan O.
Checked the two High Limit Thermostats and both have 00,3 ohms.
Oven is completely dead. No touchpad items are functioning. I saw another post on this forum with an identical issue. He said the repair place stated it was, "open circuited capacitors." I just need to read up on, "How to test capacitors".
His issue was caused by a local power failure. I'm thinking my issue has resulted from the electrical meter being removed and a new one put in.

Last edited:

Ron6519

Premium Member
Check for supply voltage at the board:
View attachment 47276

On the power board measure the voltage between :
J1-3 - J1-4 = 21.2 VAC
J1-1 - J1-2 = 13 VDC
J1-1 - J2-1 = 5 VDC
J1-1 - J5-1 = 12 VDC
J1-1 - J7-3 = 2.5 VDC
J1-1 - J8-1 = 12 VDC
I'll check it tomorrow and see if the power is being distributed. Are we talking about the circuit board in the back of the read out display?

Ron6519

Premium Member
There's a slight issue with the circuit board. There's only one(1) "J" connection, a J12. The rest are "P"'s. P1, P7, P6 along the front. P5 and P6 top right.
P1 has 123 volts.
The circuit board in this unit is labelled :
Maytag 8507P093-60
Photos below

Jenn Side view.jpg
Jenn circuit label.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member

Ron6519

Premium Member
That's the part number that keeps coming up when I search the Jenn-Air model number. What I don't understand is why the label on my part says:
Maytag 8705P093-60. I know all the names(whirlpool, Jenn-air and Maytag) are made by the same company, but are the two parts identical?
Before I spend $400.00 on a part, I'll see if I can replace a few components to get this one up and running. I found two capacitors that were "out of range" One(33 @ 16v) came up, "OL" the other (100@50v)unit said the resistance reading was okay if were <47 mf.
I appreciate your time on this. I'll let you know what happens.
Ron

rickgburton

Staff member
None of the numbers on a part matter. They're either old part numbers or manufacturing or lot numbers. Most PC boards in appliances are manufactured by other companies. Always order parts by model number.