JK3500SF2SS Ovens turned on for 30 sec, preheat, and then shut off...

Bville99gt

Premium Member
Model Number
JK3500SF2SS
Brand
GE
Hi to all. My GE double ovens are 2 years old and always worked pretty darn good. About 3 weeks ago we experience a power outage due to a thunder storm, and some of my appliance got the worst of it including my GE double ovens. Since the power outage the ovens wont turn on, no display on the control panel, nothing. So I replaced the control unit and that brought power back to the ovens: the oven lights worked, display worked, but once in bake or broil mode it will turn on for about 30sec and then turn off and give an error of F96. I then replaced the relay board, and the same thing happens, set it to bake or broil, start to preheat for about 20-30secs, shuts off and displays F96 error. Anyone with experience that can guide me. The heating elements get hot to the touch. I can hear the fans and feel air coming out from the bottom of the ovens. Thanks for your help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Did you transfer the model select (jumper) from the old board to the new?

Bville99gt

Premium Member
Excuse my ignorance, but I did not see any jumpers on the old board... When I replaced the control board (part#WB27X25350 ) I unplugged wire by wire from the old board and plugged into the new board. Can you elaborate a little bit more on this jumper that you are talking about.

This is the back of my old board which I replaced.

20160510_091208.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Looking at the parts diagram it looked like there was one, maybe not. #13 in the diagram
G1410463-00001.jpg

Bville99gt

Premium Member
UPDATE: After weeks of dealing with this problems is sure to say that I still have this problem, but I have shed some light into diagnosing the oven. I replaced both fans (upper and lower) thinking that it would cure the issue, but no dice. I tested all elements, switches, and sensor without any luck in finding the issue. I spent countless hours online researching and today finally I found (what I believe) the issue with my oven. Error F96 indicates that the Upper Oven Fan is running slow, since I replaced the fan it was interesting to note that the Fan was not working properly so I tested the Fan Board which is like a tachometer for the fan and it turned out that it was not sending any readings back to the Control Board.

So know I am just wanting for the Fan Board (WB27T11463) to do final testing and hopefully resolved the issue. Will keep you posted.