• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JKP15WW2WW GE single electric wall oven "locked door" flashing

scanman

Premium Member
Model Number
JKP15WW2WW
Brand
GE
GE wall oven that was already in our home when we bought it. Went to use the self clean feature for the first time today. Door never locked (not a manual lock) and self cleaning feature automatically shut off. However, "locked door" now flashes on display. Selecting the bake or other mode buttons leads to "door" appearing on display. My best guess is that the oven thinks the door is locked even though it is not. Note: Switch for door light works fine.

Shut off the breaker hoping that resetting the appliance would help. However, "locked door" continues to flash on display.

Not sure if the self clean feature/door lock can be disabled. I don't need the self clean feature to work. Would just like to be able to use the oven. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Recheck your model number for me. I can't get anything to come up with that one. Check the letters after JKP15*****

scanman

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. I double checked it, but did not find any errors in the model #. Maybe, I am missing something. See attached picture. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210321_134443.jpg
    20210321_134443.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 10

rickgburton

Staff member
Thanks for the picture of the model tag. I've seen this before on older GE ovens. Instead of leaving a space between model number and color code they would often use a "0". I think that's the deal here. JKP15WW2WW comes up as a good number.

Try this: Hold the door switch in with your finger and set the oven for a self clean and start the self clean cycle. Keep holding the door switch in with your finger and see if the latch motor moves the latch. Wait for it to stop moving then cancel the self clean cycle.

scanman

Premium Member
Rick - Thanks for your prompt response and your help with deciphering the model #. I tried holding the door switch and getting the latch motor to move 3x, but no luck. The self cleaning cycle never starts, and the latch does not move. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Not sure if it is an option to disable the self clean function/latch so that the oven itself is functional again.

scanman

Premium Member
I assume open in that I can open and close the door without issue. [I assume that if the latch was closed the door would be locked (like for self cleaning) and not able to be opened.]

rickgburton

Staff member
There's a slot in the door the latch hook goes into. The latch hook can be in the locked position, pulled into the latch assy, and the door will still open and close. This is for a different model but you'll get the jist:
Snapshot_2.jpg

scanman

Premium Member
Thanks for the clarification and diagram Rick! To me it looks to be unlocked. Pictures (taken from below and the side) are attached.

Attachments

• 20210322_074010.jpg
    20210322_074010.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210322_074024.jpg
    20210322_074024.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 9

rickgburton

Staff member
The lock motor is energized when the control is set to Clean and Clean time selected. The relay on the control will close and 120 VAC is supplied to the lock motor. You will need to access the latch assembly. Pull the oven out of its installation far enough to remove the top panel. The latch assembly is below the control on top of the oven. Use a meter to check for 120 VAC at the latch motor. If the voltage is 0V check the door switch for continuity if the voltage is correct, replace the latch assembly.
ge-latch-oven-asm-wb49t10020-ap4538774_01_l.jpg

scanman

Premium Member
Thanks again Rick.

Before I saw your most recent reply, I opened the oven to take a look at the latch assembly/motor. The top "prong" (part of a switch?) seemed to just barely be stuck behind a plastic piece that would presumably move when the latch does. Moving that prong/finger forward solved the "locked door" error, and the oven is working again. I have attached a picture in case this can assist someone else. (Arrows are pointing to the prongs/fingers I am referencing.) The top prong/metal finger needed to be moved towards the front of the oven.

Thanks for your help troubleshooting this issue and for helping boost my confidence to fix this appliance.

Attachments

• 20210322_145023.jpg
    20210322_145023.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 9