• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JKP86BF3BB Buzzing/Zapping noise, then ceramic fuse goes

dawson128

Premium Member
Model Number
JKP86BF3BB
Brand
GE
Hello everyone! New member here.

My mother had me look at her microwave/convection oven combo JKP86BF3BB after she said it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I checked it out and found that the ceramic fuse was bad, as well as a thermal fuse. Replaced them and went to test it out and there was a horrible loud zapping noise for about 1/2 second before the ceramic fuse blew.

So far with an analog multimeter I have tested: The transformer, the magnetron, the HV capacitor, and the HV diode. All of them have tested fine and I couldn't find any shorts.. I'm at a loss.

Any ideas on what to check next would be fantastic as it looks like a replacement unit is expensive. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Can you please post the complete model number? Then I can see if our tech Rick can help you. He's very good on microwaves.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Thanks.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
So far with an analog multimeter.......
Old school or antique collector?

.....I have tested: The transformer, the magnetron, the HV capacitor, and the HV diode.

If you're sure the noise came from a HV component:

Test the HV cap again. This time remove it from the microwave. Hold one lead against the caps metal body and touch the other lead to one of the two terminals. Your meter should show ∞ resistance. Slowly squeeze the sides of the capacitor together and see if that changes your resistance measurement.

The diode in a microwave is actually a rectifier (4 diodes). I don't know if an analog meter can read it without using a 9V battery. Is that how you checked it?