• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JKP90SM2SS GE Microwave Turntable Situation

klind

Premium Member
Model Number
JKP90SM2SS
Brand
GE
I have a GE microwave over oven installation. The microwave model number is JKP90SM2SS.

The turntable stopped operating so I checked the small turntable motor and found that had an open circuit. I replaced the motor with an inexpensive third party replacement that I purchased from the internet. That motor worked when initially installed but failed the next day again reporting an open circuit. So I purchased a model using the model number from the original shorted motor. That motor worked when initially installed but also failed the next day. While it is possible that I just received two ill manufactured motors, I would like to know if anyone else has ever had this occur and possibly knows something that might help me correct this situation.

Thanx...

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

klind

Premium Member
Having a warranty does not relieve the problem, it simply defers the cost to someone other than I. What I would like to know is how to fix the situation. It is not my desire to repetitively dismantle and reinstall the microwave. I'm way too aged to continue to do that.

rickgburton

Staff member
The reason I asked is because it seems you're getting bad motors. We've seen this happen many times with parts from eBay and Amazon.
That motor worked when initially installed.......
What changed between the time you installed it and the time it failed.?

klind

Premium Member
Nothing that I am aware of changed. The turntable worked after installation just running with a cup of water in the MW. However, the next morning using the MW for breakfast the turntable was again non-functional after a little limited use.

What is the total cost of a motor from your stock?

rickgburton

Staff member
Nothing that I am aware of changed
My point exactly. If it works when first installed then doesn't work and shows open, the only thing that changed is the motor.
What is the total cost of a motor from your stock?
We don't sell parts. We can link you to reputable parts suppliers with a good reputation. APP is one of those. They can give you the cost.