FIXED JKS10B0M1BB GE Oven Touchpad Overlay

Kenny747

Premium Member
Model Number
JKS10B0M1BB
Brand
GE
I have searched high and low for a touchpad overlay for my GE oven. The oven itself works fine, but the overlay is falling apart and a few buttons are exposed. All I can get out of GE is that the oven is no longer manufactured and that parts are nonexistent. If anyone has any information on a source for this part, it would be greatly appreciated.

Overlay in question....

Attachments

stromberg48

Premium Member
That looks like the same button configuration (minus the self-clean button) as my JGRP17 wall oven... I'm in the same boat, as GE changed to less buttons after the late 90's. I tried asking this question in my thread below ...CAN these be UPGRADED to the NEWER style insert with LESS buttons?????? ...If the answer is yes then part WB27T11243 may work for you (even though it has a cleaning button, there may be another one without the clean button, or you could just ignore the cleaning button), but you may have to get the control box kit as well. Hopefully a tech can clear this up.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Kenny,

Says to measure the overlay width...

G1105238-00001.jpg

jeff.

stromberg48

Premium Member
0029598352_4.gif

Not sure if this is your model (JKS10BM2BB) but...

check it out, it does mention a retrofit on this one. looks like yours Parts for GE JKS10BM2BB: Control Panel Parts.

It's to update the 6 arrow button style to the (newer and smaller) 2 arrow button style panels. There is not even a reference # on the main diagram for your style face-plate, it's pictured but there is no pointer....I wonder if it comes with a new old style control box (which still looks available)?

The problem is that even that retrofit button plate part # 1018 on the retrofit diagram is even NLA.

stromberg48

Premium Member
Look what i found.... Overlay WB27T11231 Overlay WB27T11231 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com and...this old thread : Need to replace a discontinued part on wall oven -- will this retrofit work?

And they have one in BLACK GE WB27T11229 Faceplate - AppliancePartsPros.com

So you would need the retrofit board GE WB27T11162 Board Housing Asm - AppliancePartsPros.com

and the black panel GE WB36T11270 Panel and Bracket Asm - AppliancePartsPros.com

Ouch

But read this interesting part from that old thread:

Member: leahcimp

Well you won't believe how this story ends! I called GE. Turns out the part I'm trying to replace is known to be defective in some cases (but not a safety issue, so no "recall"). The defect is that the plastic on the control panel bubbles up -- the exact problem I was having. The result: GE redesigned the part (thus the "retrofit"), they are providing the new part for free, and they're sending out a tech to do the installation for free!

As I told the extremely helpful customer service rep, she has restored my confidence in GE.

And thank you Jeff for recommending I call GE -- that advice worked out perfectly.

Last edited:

Kenny747

Premium Member
Wow, that's the exact same problem I'm having. I hope I can get the same response from GE that leahcimp did, even though it's been over three years. I will definitely give them a call.

Thanks for your help. :encouragement:

slbentley

I just want to thank you all for recommending to call GE for this problem. I've been in my current house for a little over 8 years. From the day we moved in the display on the oven was starting to fall apart. First it was just the plastic cover over the whole display. By the time I sought out information to get things fixed about half the buttons no longer had words. Called GE last week. Got my new control panel for free on Tuesday. Got it installed today. Thanks everyone!

Kenny747

Premium Member
Unfortunately, I did not have the same experience after calling GE. After giving them all of the essential model and part numbers, they would not confirm that the overlay was defective and wanted me to pay for a repairman to come out and look at it. Then if he deemed the overlay to be defective, GE would pay for it and the service call. Since GE didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about, I didn't want to risk getting stuck with having to pay the repairman. So it looks like I'm stuck with a defective part. Thanks, GE.

dalumart

Premium Member
Ge ptk70somiss

Unfortunately, I did not have the same experience after calling GE. After giving them all of the essential model and part numbers, they would not confirm that the overlay was defective and wanted me to pay for a repairman to come out and look at it. Then if he deemed the overlay to be defective, GE would pay for it and the service call. Since GE didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about, I didn't want to risk getting stuck with having to pay the repairman. So it looks like I'm stuck with a defective part. Thanks, GE.
Hi Kenny and guys.

For those of you that are having the overlay problem...I have the GE PTK70SOMISS with the bubbling overlay

you should try again. I just got off the phone with GE and they are sending me the retrofit parts for free. They said I would have to pay for installation. they recommend a "professional installation for liability reasons, but not required". I first called the parts department and they gave a direct phone # to call (866)622-6184. You will need model number and serial number ,it literally took about 5 minutes and the parts are on the way. I am highly impressed with how GE handled this even thou we got the oven in 2012.

Kenny747

Premium Member
Hi Kenny and guys.

you should try again. I just got off the phone with GE and they are sending me the retrofit parts for free. They said I would have to pay for installation. they recommend a "professional installation for liability reasons, but not required". I first called the parts department and they gave a direct phone # to call (866)622-6184. You will need model number and serial number ,it literally took about 5 minutes and the parts are on the way. I am highly impressed with how GE handled this even thou we got the oven in 2012.
Success! It seems that was the magic phone number. The oven is nine years old, but they're sending out the overlay for free. I'll give a crack at installing it myself, as the tech said it was pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the info!

Kenny747

Premium Member
Update:

My shipment arrived yesterday. GE didn't just send a new overlay, they replaced the entire display panel and housing carriage. I was able to install it in about 30 minutes. Couldn't be happier.

Attachments

CymerMike

Hi Kenny747 / dalumart: Thanks for posting the "magic" 866 number. I got the GE rep on the first call. He said he'd be happy to send me an upgrade kit for my JTP30WM1SS wall oven. We purchased the house in 2015 and noticed the label template was bubbling up. The oven is original with the house and is about 10 years old. The GE rep took my info and said he'd send the retrofit parts to do the upgrade by Fed-X (three day delivery). Very grateful for your info and GE's quality support of their GE Profile Series appliances...saved me >$250 for the N/C retrofit.

Last edited:

fixitalready

Thank you for info - calling GE at the 866 number provided by you worked for me also

Hi,

Just wanted to add thanks. I called mid-December as my GE Profile ovens buttons had also lost the overlay on top of them - six at last count. GE offered me the kit and it was delivered in about 10 days (the holidays sure affected delivery).
Now installed and working well. My oven is over 10 years old and so the overlay was not the only part needed as the button panel is smaller than my original one. GE provided all the parts needed to replace my existing panel though with a new one. The replacement is not glass but is thicker overlay than the original, fingers crossed that it will outlast the oven.

Hi Kenny and guys.

For those of you that are having the overlay problem...I have the GE PTK70SOMISS with the bubbling overlay

not_much_of_a_chef

Premium Member
Thank you all very much for posting this info, saved me a lot of hassle :) Just got off the phone with GE, my 2008 JKP55BM2BB wall oven is part of the program and I will be getting a free kit. Unfortunately it's currently back ordered...

Can I swap the wall oven control panel without pulling the whole oven?

davidf

Premium Member
I am looking for a touchpad overlay that looks almost exactly like this one JKS10BOM1BB except with a "Self-Clean" button on the bottom left below the "Bake" button. I had previously ordered an overlay online for this oven's model number JTP30BOM1BB but the one I received was smaller, had non-rounded corners and looked nothing like the one I need to replace.

Any advice on how to find the right part number would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

davidf

Premium Member
Nevermind, I read some additional threads and believe I have the answer by calling the 866-622-6184 number. Thanks.

not_much_of_a_chef

Premium Member
I hope your experience is better than mine. GE has missed multiple ship dates and 5 months later I have no idea when (or even if) I'll get the part :(

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Fingers crossed GE can deliver.

jeff.

AdrianRussell

I agree with the magic number. I have a GE Double Oven Model JKP75W0M1WW with bubbling Touchpad. Based on the information provided in these blogs, I contacted GE and they are shipping the part by FEDEX. Thanks to all.