• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JP3030SJSS GE Glasstop Stove fire. Usable still?

atlanta102

Model Number
JP3030SJSS
Brand
GE
Got a new GE glasstop stove several months ago. My SO went to use it today, and turned on the wrong burner, which still had a drying mat on it. It caught fire. I ran downstairs and put it out with an extinguisher. it burned pretty bad. I used many applications of the CeramBryte cleaner, and scraping off with a razor. There is still a very fine residue that will not come off. I'm guessing that burner is gone? Is it repairable ( new glass top?)? It was $800, so if repairing it is going to be huge $$ then probably won't do that. I wonder if this is covered under our extended warranty?
20210825_114107.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If it was something ON the cooktop that caught fire, it likely would not affect the element. The element is beneath the glass. The fire might have affected the structure of the glass top itself which might fracture prematurely around that area but shouldn't be a safety issue IMO. Just be watchful when using it.

I wonder if this is covered under our extended warranty?

It's probably not covered by the appliance's warranty nor an extended warranty. Both usually cover 'defects in material and workmanship' not misuse. BTW An extended warranty usually only starts after the appliance's original warranty expires and extends that same warranty for some period of time.

If you have home insurance, it might be covered by that.

PS. I checked one site and a replacement glass top was around $600. Hardly worthwhile.

Dan O.

Last edited: