JP389BJ1BB GE Cooktop Replace Vent Fan Switch

RFurball

Premium Member
Model Number
JP389BJ1BB
Brand
GE
I have a GE cooktop model number JP389BJ1BB and the shaft on the vent fan switch broke. I found the part I need (WB24X10055) but I don't know how to change it. Looking from the bottom all I see is sheet metal. There are 2 screws near the power cord and I will try to take them off but I don't see how they will expose the switch area. From the top it looks like I can take the pans under the heater element off and that might give me access to the switch, Do I change the switch from the top or bottom?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You'd need to remove the complete cooktop and lay it on a large cloth on your countertop and then you will see all the screws around it you need to remove.

Its going to be a big job, you will likely need a helper to lift this out, these are heavy.

And you will also need to turn the breaker off to it first and remove the electrical wiring to it from underneath first, unless you have a lot of slack in your electrical.

Its #19 in your parts diagram here:

Here it is for your model:
WB24X10055 Switch Blower 3 Speed

Jake

RFurball

Premium Member
I was afraid that the I would have to take the cooktop out which is a lot of work with the wiring and all. Most of the YouTube videos show this is what you have to do for similar cooktops. As it turns out this cooktop has access from the top. There are 4 nuts under the burner switches which hold down a plate over the switch assembly. Once the nuts are removed the fan motor switch can be moderately accessed and replaced.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

So this glass can be removed from the top once those burner switch nuts are off?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
(y) Got It, thanks!

Jake