• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JP939SH1SS GE Profile 30 inch Glasstop Cooktop - Error Code F153

John King

Premium Member
Model Number
JP939SH1SS
Brand
GE
Hello,

I have a GE Profile 30" Glasstop Cooktop (Model #JP939SH1SS) with the error code "F153" showing up on the cooktop surface. This error code only appears when utilizing the front right large burner. I reviewed the trouble shooting section in the owners manual and after applying the suggested corrective measures, the F153 error code reappears. Any insight on this situation? What parts may be required to repair this? I am extremely mechanically inclined, so is this a DIY repair? Do I need to call an actual service repair facility/individual? Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to the responses......

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
"F153" indicates an open temperature sensor for the right front burner. Check the heater, sensor and wire harness connections and make sure they are tight and secure. Check the heater ribbon for any damage. Disconnect the sensor connector from the board and measure the resistance of the sensor. It should be between 1030 and 1150 ohms. If not replace the heater and re-calibrate the inductive sensors. If the problem persists, replace the power board.
Solid Surface Element WB30T10062 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

John King

Premium Member
Hello Rick,

thanks for the response and the insight. I have the ability to check the ohms as stated. If I check the ohms and they are in within the values stated, will it just be the Solid Surface Element needing replacement? Will I need to replace the heater as well? Can you show the heater part as well? How is the recalibration handled on the inductive sensors?

rickgburton

Staff member
Sorry, the heater/element and RTD sensor are all one unit (In the picture above). Do not cut or splice any of the wires for the RTD and inductive wire. They are wired to the connector at the factory. So basically, if all the wires are tight and secure and show no visible signs of damage, you'll need to replace either the RF Element or the power board. Element if the RTD sensor is open or Power board that's telling you the sensor is open if it's not. The instructions for calibrating the inductive sensors is on your tech sheet. Look for an envelope taped to the bottom of the cook top. The parts will come with calibration instructions also. If you don't need a part you won't need to recalibrate.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Element.jpg
    Element.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 11,443

John King

Premium Member
Hey Rick,

So I am understanding this properly.... The Solid Surface Element (WB30T10062) and the heater/element & RTD sensor are the same unit? How do you determine if the RTD sensor is open or if the Power Board is telling you the sensor is open? Do you have a picture/price/part number for the power board? Is this available thru the same place as the Solid Surface Element? Also, do you have a exploded view of the cooktop parts and parts number list? How about a wiring diagram? Or is that with the envelop under the cooktop? I greatly appreciate this. Don't want to call a repair man unless I need to.

rickgburton

Staff member
How do you determine if the RTD sensor is open.
rickgburton said:
Disconnect the sensor connector from the board and measure the resistance of the sensor. It should be between 1030 and 1150 ohms.

In post#2 the connector is the white plastic piece at the end of the wires. Ninety percent of the time replacing the unit/element will fix the problem.

How about a wiring diagram? Or is that with the envelop under the cooktop?
That's correct.
Here's the parts diagram: Parts for GE JP939SH1SS: Cooktop Parts

Attachments

• G0212058-00001.jpg
    G0212058-00001.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 5,150

Heathh

Premium Member
I also have the same error code on my display. I followed your directions but my meter isn’t registering any ohms. Does that sound like I should replace element or the board Rick? Also, if it is indeed the element & it’s wired from the factory, does that mean that all of the other connectors come with the element too? In the above pic, I see just the 2 blue wires & the RTD. My element has 3 more wires on it.

Model JP938B0C1BB
I thank you in advance.
The envelop was missing on the bottom of my cooktop but I found some instructions inside after opening.

Heathh

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. Guess I’ll buy the element then. I hope the element fixes my problem & it’s not the board.

rickgburton

Staff member
The error codes are pretty much straight forward. F153 is an open sensor for the right front element. You checked it with a meter and it was indeed open. It's rare to have more than one part fail at a time.