• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JS48PPDUDB02 Jenn-air Fridge not cooling

DSDIRECT3

Premium Member
Model Number
JS48PPDUDB02
Brand
Jenn-Air
So originally the fridge was dead - control board would light up then die. Got the board fixed and it starts up now and controls are fine.

I can see the condenser fan going, can hear the evaporator fan going, and pretty sure I can hear the distintive sound of the compressor going. All that and it's not getting any cooling in the freezer or fridge.

I figured the control board died due to a power surge and the chance of that and the unit leaking Freon would be very slim. I'm going to start troubleshooting with a meter hopefully tomorrow but thought I'd ask anyone with experience out there for their input.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
and pretty sure I can hear the distintive sound of the compressor going
That machine uses an inverter compressor. It runs very quiet and at or just above room temperature. Occasionally I have to turn the power off, put my hand on the compressor and feel for the vibration when it starts. If the fans are working and you're sure the compressor is running, do this. With the machine plugged in and running for a minimum 24 hours, leave it plugged in and running while you remove the evaporator cover and check the frost pattern. You want to see a very, very light coat of white frost on all the coils top to bottom. No ice or snow. Take a picture and post it here.

DSDIRECT3

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, I will try that but I don't believe the fridge will stay running that long. It comes up with an "Over temperature" alarm and I believe shuts down. I'm also not expecting any frost on the coils as I'm getting zero cold air out of the outlets in the freezer (and fridge) and zero temp reduction from when I start the fridge to when the high temp comes on (about 1.5 hours).

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe the fridge will stay running that long.
OK, then the first thing to do is determine if the compressor is working. If the compressor is running and there's no cooling the problem is with the sealed system. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value.

DSDIRECT3

Premium Member
Okay, my saga with this fridge continues.

The Freon leak is now fixed and system recharged. I'm not convinced the guy I brought in to fix it did it right but for now that is what it is.

So the unit is cooling reasonably well - from completely warm to at or below set temperature it takes 5-6 hours. The problem now is the unit does not want to shut down - Compressor or fans. My set points are 0 F freezer and 37 F fridge and the current temps are -11 F freezer and 37 F fridge (confirmed that or lower with a laser thermometer) and the unit is still going for at least an hour at or below those temps and no shut offs since start up. The Fridge has stayed pretty consistent at 37 F so I'm thinking the air damper works.

Thoughts?

Thanks, D.

DSDIRECT3

Premium Member
Okay - quick update - literally minutes after I posted the above the unit shut off. I opened the door and both readings were at set temp - 0 F and 37 F. Not sure how it went from -11F up to 0 F so quickly - is the sensor maybe right by the evap coils (which does not make sense to me)?

Anyway, I closed the door quickly and going to see how long before it starts up again.

FYI - compressor surface temp was 137 F just after it shut off.

DSDIRECT3

Premium Member
Anyone know a fridge repair person in Mississauga/GTA that has experience testing for leaks and potentially replacing compressors. I'm not ready yet to throw away a $10k fridge but all the repair guys I've talked to seem to be plug and play repair only

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
@Dan O. might know, he lives and works in Canada.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I do not know anyone in Mississauga and most of the technicians I knew are now retired.

I usually recommend a *factory authored* service depot. They should be best equipped and knowledgeable to handle the product in question. Whether they'd be interested in looking at it after someone else did refrigeration work on it, I don't know. (I would also suggest you not keep that fact a secret.)

All I can suggest you you check with Jenn-Air and see who they recommend for service in that area and see if they're willing to look at it.

DSDIRECT3

Premium Member
Thanks guys. I called a friend that is in the restaurant supply business and he sent over one of his commercial fridge technicians. The guy was phenomenal. He confirmed an evaporator leak (along with a leak on a service valve the other yahoo that worked on it installed). He pulled the evaporator and we are going to see if we can source a new evaporator. It seems fridge parts are another victim of covid.

I blows my mind how whirlpool/jenn-air/kitchenaid build these 48" units and sell them at $10k-$12k (5-10 times of the 36" units with pretty much the same components) and treat them as 'throw-aways' when something goes wrong.

DSDIRECT3

Premium Member
So, continuing the updates just in case others can benefit from the experience.

Tried to order a replacement evaporator in Canada - 3 months backorder. Got a OEM replacement from the US in three days. Was installed today - properly (purge, nitro pressure test, vacuum, weight measured freon, etc) and things are cooling nicely.

The hole in the original evaporator - caused by the defrost heater element rubbing against it (pic attached).

Attachments

• 20211219_193731.jpg
    20211219_193731.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 11

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Yes, there’s a lot wider selection available in the USA to order from.

Of course anyone in Canada has to order from a Canadian supplier who in turn orders from Whirlpool Canada whom in turn orders from Whirlpool USA. Lots of hands in there.

Thanks for the followup.

DSDIRECT3

Premium Member
Wanted to clarify in case anyone with the same fridge and is experiencing similar symptoms. My control "panel" is the one that would lite up then die. It was the main circuit board I had repaired for this. Pretty sure my unit was the victim of a power surge as even the main switch up top was fried on it.

IMO - This had nothing to do with the Freon leak - coincidental.

If you have one of these units and they have a Freon leak don't give up. If you can find someone who does proper leak testing and has experience fixing leaks then and properly refilling them then depending on age it can be worth it. Everything is pretty accessible on these units and I would venture to guess if there is a leak there is a high probability it will be on one of the joints on the topside of the fridge or down at the evaporator in the bottom of the freezer (it's aluminum and the weakest 'leak' link IMO).

Repair for mine was:
Evaporator: $200-$300 USD
Freon : ~8oz 134A - not sure exact cost
Labour: 3-4 hours