JS48SEDBDA Jenn-air Refrigerator “ helicopter “ noise

Sunsat32

Premium Member
Model Number
JS48SEDBDA
Brand
Jenn-Air
Jenn-air model JS48SEDBDA , 12 years old and late last year started making the “helicopter” noise. We had a local appliance repair (not Whirlpool certified) technician check it and found ice buildup near the evaporator fan causing the noise. He installed a new drip pan kit at the advice of Whirlpool tech support. This lasted only about a month and it started making the noise again. We then got the name of a “certified” Whirlpool repair company and had a technician come out to repair the problem. After talking to Whirlpool, He diagnosed the problem the same as before and said the replacement part must have been defective. so we paid for another service call and part. This time it lasted just under 4 months, then the same problem re-occurred. So I called the same “certified” company back. After checking and talking to Whirlpool again, it cost me another service call to be told that it is “un-repairable”.
I know that it IS repairable, they just don’t want to take the time to properly diagnose it.
Since I have to do it myself, I have been monitoring the temperature of the freezer. I remember seeing a note on one in a house that we rented in NC at North Topsail Island. It said not to lower the temperature of the freezer, because it could cause ice (or frost) to build up because of the high humidity. We live on the water. The temperature in the freezer fluctuates from 6 to 22 degrees. Could this be the problem? If so, what is the fix ?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its possibly a bad freezer thermistor, your temps shouldn't be fluctuating between 6 to 22 degrees.

Do you notice when its 22 degrees is the freezer running or dead silent?

Here's the freezer thermistor for your model:
67001342 Thermister

Jake

Sunsat32

Premium Member
At this time it’s 13 degrees and running, but no noise.
I’ve already spent approximately $750, so another $40 sounds fine.
Thanks. I will try it and reply later