• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JS968KF1CC GE profile electric range/oven burning smell

Anthony A

Premium Member
Model Number
JS968KF1CC
Brand
GE
I have an electric GE profile range/oven. Some water spilled on it. The screen gave me an “FO” error code. I shut power down to it and left it to dry out for a couple days. Once I turned it back on everything works but it has a burning electrical smell. It’s most intense when first turned on then becomes duller. I opened the top range portion and rear up and couldn’t find anything discolored or smoking. Only thing is a fan underneath the elements (not the fan in the oven) seems to be constantly running. I’ve left it on for a few hours to see if anything changes but it does not. Any help on what is the likely source of the odor. I know it’s possible that the high limit sensor has failed and that’s what’s causing the fan to run but is it also the odor source?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I know it’s possible that the high limit sensor has failed and that’s what’s causing the fan to run but is it also the odor source?
It's possible check #158 and #159 in this diagram
G0508096-00007.png

It's more likely to be the control board if it got water inside it:
ge-oven-control-clock-wb27t10406-ap3204821_03_m.jpg

Anthony A

Premium Member
Update!! I’ve just noticed the “warming zone” on the stove top is constantly on. I’m assuming that’s why the fan is running. There was no indication to me that it was on until I got basically burned by something that was resting on that spot. The warming zone is controlled by the same panel as the oven. Not a knob like the other burner zones. Do you think I can just disconnect the warming zone (I never use it anyway) or is a control board now the more likely answer.