JSD2789AES JennAir Fridge coils freezing

JennAirFridge

Model Number
JSD2789AES
Brand
Jenn-Air
I have a JennAir JSD2789aes fridge that was not cooling properly one day. After extensive research online I replaced two parts that are the usual suspects for this issue: (1) the defrost timer (2) the thermostat and defrost heater assembly (came as one unit).

I replaced the timer first but the coils froze over. So I ordered the heater assembly and after defrosting and replacing this unit, the coils are still freezing over

This is very frustrating but I’m looking for some additional guidance.

Is there a way to test that the defrost timer and heater assembly? Can I trigger it to run?
What else could be going on?

Here are the parts I replaced:
1) Adaptive Defrost Control Board # 61005988, AP4070403
2) Refrigerator Defrost Heater for Whirlpool Maytag WP61006199 AP6010105 PS11743281

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

jeff1

Staff member
The defrost board is on the inside top of the fridge.
Yes, but the part is coming up as NLA ( No Longer Available ).
Did you buy a used one?
A reconditioned one?

That definetly looks like a frost free failure :(
Did you get to put it into a manual defrosting yet?

jeff.

JennAirFridge

I bought a brand new adaptive defrost control board. They are available in multiple places online:
Amazon, McCombs Supply

And other sites

I do not know how to put it on manual defrost, any tips?

jeff1

Staff member

JennAirFridge

If it is not available from your recommended seller where else can I buy it other than ebay or amazon? From the link you sent, it is not clear to me how to initiate the defrost cycle for a JennAir fridge. Is there a way for me to test the control board itself to see if it is defective?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
JennAirFridge said:
From the link you sent, it is not clear to me how to initiate the defrost cycle for a JennAir fridge.
ApplianceAid web site said:
Paraphrased:

[IF] jumping "L-1" and "door" [or "test"] will not initiate the forced defrost function.

Cycle cold control on and off three times in six seconds. The cold control needs to be left in the closed (call for cooling) position for the defrost system to energize on all platforms. It is not enough to cycle the cold control knob, the contacts must actually open and close (open doors for a period of time if necessary to force the control to call for cooling). In most cases, you can hear the contacts open and close if they are doing so.

To Terminate Forced Defrost Cycle:
Disconnect power for five seconds.
JFYI
----

BTW How long did it take for that amount of frost to accumulate?

Was the refrigerator fully assembled that whole time and with the doors closed?

Is the freezer fan motor running when the compressor and condenser fans are running?

Dan O.

JennAirFridge

JFYI
----

BTW How long did it take for that amount of frost to accumulate?

Was the refrigerator fully assembled that whole time and with the doors closed?

Is the freezer fan motor running when the compressor and condenser fans are running?

Dan O.
It took about 5-6 days for the ice to accumulate. I checked it each day and it was building up.

Yes the fridge is fully assembled and the doors were closed

Yes the freezer fan motor is running when the compressor and condenser fans are running.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
JennAirFridge said:
It took about 5-6 days for the ice to accumulate. I checked it each day and it was building up.

Yes the fridge is fully assembled and the doors were closed

Yes the freezer fan motor is running when the compressor and condenser fans are running.

Good. Just ruling out all possibilities.

jeff1

Staff member
Is there a way for me to test the control board itself to see if it is defective?
An easier way is to check the heater, check the defrost thermostat, check wires between the control and defrost heater assembly as this is not common, but odd time a wire can open up in the cabinet. If all check ok, the control board is the suspect!

jeff.