• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED JT77100 Inglis Refrigerator - Defrost Cycle Problem

Davis22

Premium Member
Model Number
JT77100
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for any help in solving this issue.
I have an old Inglis Citation 17 refrigerator model JT77100. It is 41 years old and still running awesome.
Several weeks ago, the refrigerator portion got warmer, but the freezer was still cold.
The evaporator was found to be freezing up with ice.
I manually advanced the timer with a screwdriver and the defrost cycle came on, melted the ice,
and water filled the tray at floor level. The defrost cycle took 20 minutes, and worked perfectly.
After 20 minutes the defrost cycle was over and the timer turned the compressor on just like it should.
Once the defrost cycle was over, the timer stopped and stayed there?
I thought it must be the timer that is defective. Replaced timer with new one, same problem.
So, if I manually advance the defrost timer once per week, it will do what it supposed to do, turn the
compressor back on and timer will stop.
So timer works during defrost mode, then shuts off.
Refrigerator works perfect, except it is now like a manual defrost freezer, rather than an auto-defrost fridge??
I'm totally stumped, any ideas or anyone had the same problem?
Thank you for your time.
Davis

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The motor on a defrost timer could be wired in different ways. The replacement timer must be wired appropriately for the model or it won't advance by itself.

You can see the instructions for a popular Whirlpool defrost timer at the following link. I have no idea which was originally used on your model nor what you replaced it with.

LINK > Whirlpool 482493 Defrost Timer Instructions

Dan O.

Davis22

Premium Member
Thanks for replying Dan. O.
Attached, are the original and replacement timers for my Inglis.
Please note that the pics are not the actual parts, but pics that ressemble them for this discussion.
The new one was a DT2 8hr 21 min timer and the 4 connectors fit perfect.
I noted that the original timer had a ground wire, wereas the new one did not.
Any suggestions? I have been trying to solve this for a few weeks now.

Attachments

• Original M175 timer.jpg
    Original M175 timer.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 26
  • New Timer Installed.jpg
    New Timer Installed.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 24

Davis22

Premium Member
Dan O, I just read the link that you sent and my original 40 year old schematic for the Inglis looks
exactly like a Version 1 Cumulative compressor run application in Figure 2.

I do not remember the DT2 new timer that I installed having a loose black timer motor lead, as shown in
Procedure 2, Figure 6? Is it possible that I have installed the incorrect part?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Davis22 said:
Is it possible that I have installed the incorrect part?

It is possible that the replacement timer is not suitable for your appliance. The replacement timer in the picture shows the timer motor connected between terminals 1-3. If the original used different terminals for the motor than no, it will not work.

Timer_Installed_motor.jpg

Look at the printing on the original timer and/or the fridge's wiring diagram to see if you can determine the motor connections on the original timer. If different connections than that replacement, a different timer will be required.

Davis22 said:
I noted that the original timer had a ground wire, wereas the new one did not.

Lack of a ground wire will not affect its functioning.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Davis22 said:
Please note that the pics are not the actual parts

PS. For future reference, please only post the real information if you want real help.

Good luck!

Dan O.

Davis22

Premium Member
Hi Dan O. and thank you for all of your help.

I was able to find an appliance repair business near me that sold the correct timer for my older Inglis.
The correct part is a W10822278 Defrost Timer.
Another appliance repair business had previously sold me the "newer model fits all" timer shown above, but it lacked the power wire
as shown below. This wire had to be placed on terminal 2 as shown in Installation Instructions for 482493 Defrost Timer Kit.

Please note that the black loose wire on the timer has to be placed on the terminal for your freezer. In my case, the electrical schematic
for my machine showed that I had a "Version 1 Cumulative Compressor run application" as shown in 482493 Instructions (which were NOT
supplied with the Defrost Timer I purchased).

Always check the instructions to determine your fridge's run application to know which terminal the wire should go on.

The Inglis fridge has been working fine and goes through its cooling and defrost cycles as it was designed to do.

Thank you again Dan O., without your help I would have had to scrap a good machine. Thanks for hanging in there
with me, as the first appliance store that I have always gotten parts from were not willing to help with any of my questions.

Davis

Attachments

• W10822278.jpg
    W10822278.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 14