• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JTP48SF3SS GE Electric Oven - top oven turns off SOMETIMES

Rickoven

Premium Member
Model Number
JTP48SF3SS
Brand
GE
Double oven. Mostly use bottom one, and mostly use one at a time. Sometimes, when using both ovens (i.e. holidays), the top oven will just turn off. Can immediately turn it back on. Sometimes it will stay on, sometimes it will turn off again. We bought the house 2 years old, noticed this at the first Thanksgiving, then it didn't happen again for a few years. Cannot establish a clear pattern. Today, turned on just the top to 450, and after 5 minutes it turned, but allowed us to turn it right back on, and was running 20 minutes before we added the bottom oven at 450 to see if we can get the top oven to trip.

We tested the top oven's temperature probe and it's 1,100, which seems to close enough to the 1,080 reference we found to label "good".

We've read different posts in different places, and they point to the control board (WB27T10445) as a POSSIBLE culprit, but not always fixing the problem. Some guess at the touchpad...

In looking at the parts for the units, I see that there is a thermal fuse, WB24T10060. Is this a fuse that when it fails it needs to be replaced, or when it cools it will work again? Is there more than one?

I would hate to spend $200+ on a control board and find out it didn't fix the problem and I can't easily return it.

Edit - they've both now been running at 450 for 20 minutes and running fine. Just raised the temp to 500 on both. Ran fine for 15 minutes, then we gave up.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your oven sensor is fine at 1100 ohms at room temperature.

Do you hear the cooling fan running when this happens? The cooling fan is in the console behind the touchpad and control board. If that cooling fan isn't running that can cause the control board to overheat and shut down the oven.

If the cooling fan is running, then it has to be the control board that's bad, that's the only part left the controls the oven.

Here's the control board for your model:
ge-control-erc-wb27t10445-ap3203778_01_l.jpg

Jake

Rickoven

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. We've lived with this "problem" for many years, I'll consult with the boss to see if she wants me to fix it. ;)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake