Just Bought a Speed Queen Gas Dryer: Thoughts? Preventive Maintenance? Other Tips?

giants1

Premium Member
Model Number
ADG3SRGS113TW
Brand
Speed Queen
Hi,

I just bought a Speed Queen gas dryer with mechanical controls.

https://www.speedqueen.com/products/dryers.aspx?mn=ADG3SRGS113TW01#build-your-own

I run about one load per week with some clothes very dirty due to working on my car and the house. I have a matching Speed Queen washer on order.

I live in an area prone to rust (eg hand tools rust quickly), but it's not cost-effective to run a dehumidifier. My current washer and dryer has some surface rust, probably due to dings/scratches (although my Samsung had a circular rust spot on top, so I must have set something obnoxious on there).

I'm the type of person who wants my appliances to last a long time, and I've been through a Maytag Neptune and a 4 year-old leaking Samsung front loader (not covered by the recall/class action lawsuit).

What are common problems with this model dryer?

What preventive maintenance do you recommend that I do under warranty that won't void the warranty?

Any suggestions about rust prevention?

If doing weekly loads, how often would I need to clean the inner lint ducts?

After the 3 year warranty expires, what sort of additional preventive maintenance should I do?

Are there parts that I should have on hand (like spare tires for cars) and/or replace on a preventive basis, like some people do on their cars?

I plan to buy it on my Visa, so I get an extra year extended warranty. They told me that if I have a problem during the extended warranty period, I can get any professional appliance repair person (eg independent shop), to provide a written diagnosis. Submit the diagnosis, warranty card, and receipt to them. Actually, I can submit the latter two on-line to make things easier. They'll reimburse me cash and I can either repair it myself, have a tech repair it, or buy a new unit.

I've never deal with a credit card extended warranty. Any suggestions for dealing with extended warranty service?

I suppose Youtube has videos on repairing Speed Queen dryers. Any ones in particular that I should study?

Finally, do you rebuild the motors yourself or have a motor shop do them? If the former, where do you find bearings and carbon brushes?

Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi, I wouldn't be able to tell you about extended warranties or companies that offer them. I don't see any reason for watching youtube videos until you have a problem and I don't see any reason to stock any parts either. That is, unless it breaks down on a Sunday and you absolutely need to fix it the same day. As far as motors go, no one rebuilds them. They're not rebuildable. If the motor goes out just replace it. Follow these two golden rules for dryers and it will last a long time. Number one, don't overload it. Number two, keep the lint screen clean after every load and make sure the vent hose and vent are clean by cleaning it once a year. The rest is just common sense. If you put a rag with parts cleaner on it, it's going to rust. If you bang it with your socket wrench and chip the paint, it's going to rust. There are no common problems other than the heating element going out. Most last years and some don't. It depends on how much use it gets. If you only use it once a week it may last 10 years. If you use it 10 times a day maybe a year.

giants1

Premium Member
You wrote: "If you put a rag with parts cleaner on it, it's going to rust..."

Would you give me an idea of what chemicals NOT to put in the washer/dryer, eg brake parts cleaner?

Should I pre-wash/soak them overnight in a bucket of detergent/water, then discard that?

Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sorry my friend, I just fix the washers and dryers. The wife does the laundry