• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Just need to connect some parts

LostUser

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
So I took apart my Kenmore microwave, I need help where to re-connect the wires to the capacitor.

I am including a picture.
KenmooreMicrowave.jpg
I have a white/red wire coming from the Magnetron and a red/black connector coming from the high voltage transformer.

I don't know which side of the capacitor the wires go to.

The sheet inside the microwave showed various model #'s: 66223 / 66229 / 66222 / 66227 / 69113

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

LostUser

Premium Member
Thanks for your help. I connected them as you showed and it is working fine. Looks like the problem may really be the turntable support --- there is a crack on both sides of the sleeve. It is probably expanding when the turn table motor's nylon insert spins.

Thanks again.

LostUser

Premium Member
What was the original problem?

On retrospect, I should have looked for a support forum first. Pardon my descriptions as I don't know the proper names of some of these parts.

The original problem is that the platter only turns intermittently. The plastic bushing part of the turntable is cracked on both sides. This is the part of the turntable that slides down over the insert from the motor.

Possibly the motor nub that connects to the turn table (half circle piece/insert) is turning but the crack in the turntable bushing lets the nub slip inside the bushing. Heavier items don't turn whereas some lighter items do.

I have tried fixing the cracked portion but I think the leverage/force applied is too much for a simple glue repair and I don't want to wrap that bushing with anything considering the microwave is heating things up.
I am going to order the rotating ring assembly---after searching for it online, it is a pretty cheap fix if that is the problem. It has three arms.

I just need to find the right size. The arms measure about 4 3/4 inches from center and the bushing is about 3/8 inches long. I don't see any leeway on a longer length arm because the glass tray has a raised ridge underneath, just at the edge of the rotating rings arms.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

LostUser

Premium Member
Thanks for all your help.

I ended up ordering the part. Although usually I would rather do a repair if it makes sense and will last---depending on the circumstances.

For the JB weld, if I was going to try repairing it again, your advice is sound. After that had cured, I would probably also surround the connector with the epoxy as well just to give it some outer strength as the crack is on both sides. I just wasn't sure of what was safe (or not) to use as a repair in a microwave.