• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

JVM1650WH05 Screeching microwave

LouK

Premium Member
Model Number
JVM1650WH05
Brand
GE
This MW sometimes runs smoothly but most often now starts a rumbling often screeching sound from it seems, behind the contol panel. I'm guessing fan related? Like a belt or ??? Because when it's really bad the oven shuts down, I'm guessing from overheating. After 10-15 minutes it comes back on.

Can I do anything about it if I pull the panel off? Lubricate or replace something? And how do I pull the panel off?

Thanks for the help!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Remove the top grill. That will give you access to the screw on the top of the control panel. Remove that screw then lift up on the control panel and it will lean forward. That will give you access to the cooling fan. You can run it with the panel leaning forward.

LouK

Premium Member
Thanks. But is there anything to service back there? Does this noise sound like anything familiar to you? Is there a part to replace maybe? Or WD40 something?

Thanks again.

rickgburton

Staff member
Doesn't sound familiar. Don't spray any lubricants as there are no lubricated parts. The only thing moving are the two fans. The turntable motor and stirir don't turn fast enough to make a "screeching" noise. I don't think I've heard that term used before to describe a microwave noise. You'll need to pinpoint the noise.

LouK

Premium Member
Kinda sounds like a belt in the car might sound dragging around a frozen pulley. Or a shaft on a fan if the bearing fails, kind of a shudder.

No problem with the turntable.

Just wondering what's back there.

Thanks again.

LouK

Premium Member
Doesn't sound familiar. Don't spray any lubricants as there are no lubricated parts. The only thing moving are the two fans. The turntable motor and stirir don't turn fast enough to make a "screeching" noise. I don't think I've heard that term used before to describe a microwave noise. You'll need to pinpoint the noise.
What does it take to replace a fan if I find it seized up or something?

LouK

Premium Member
That is, a 10 year old MW, a $228 GE at HD, would it be wiser to replace it at this point?

rickgburton

Staff member
I can't answer that until I know what the problem is. It might be wiser to remove the microwave from its installation then remove the cover and run the machine. That way you'll be able to tell what's making the noise.